Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Turkey With a Bow (Nebraska panhandle)

Started by nebgoosehunter, April 10, 2019, 11:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

Congrats, nice to see some bow kills

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

nebgoosehunter

My dad and I went back up to the spot my buddy and I killed two 11 days ago. Set up in the same exact spot but the goofy birds were roosted 150 yards from where I parked and I didn't know it. Couldn't get them to shock gobble so I just set up where I did last time. Here is where my somewhat lack of experience and impatience hurt us. I figured with a bunch of hens and only two toms it would be tough to convince them to cross a set of railroad tracks and come 350 yards to us in the short hour we could hunt. We were kind of hidden so we got out of the blind and grabbed a couple decoys and went and sat on a fence line so we were a little more visible to them. I kept talking back and forth with a hen and she finally decided to come see where I was. She came right down the fence line but was on the side that was behind us. She kept on going but a tom started coming down the fence the exact same way. Hindsight 20/20 we should have turned around quick and layed on our bellies when I just caught a glimpse of his fan and we were behind some grass still. I watched him come out of the corner of my eye but he looked like he had no interest in crossing the fence. My dad was on the next post over so we couldn't communicate very well and when the bird was right behind us 10 yards he just sat up and turned around to try and get a shot off. Couldn't believe how fast that bird took off flying. I took a shot at him after I realized my dad didn't get him but he just kept on going. Unfortunately I think we ruined that spot for awhile as I couldn't even find the other birds that were still across the tracks as we were leaving. I suppose had we just stayed in the blind the hen would have come to my decoys as we kept talking back and forth and that tom would have followed her. I've been turkey hunting 11 years and I'm still learning and I still get humbled.

RutnNStrutn

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

High plains drifter

I know exactly. I've had several occasions where I've gotten impatient,  and moved,  only to learn they were in the area.