OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Burris FF3 or Vortex Venom  (Read 9671 times)

Offline Full strut

• Woooo Pig Sooie
Re: Burris FF3 or Vortex Venom
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 11:04:39 PM »
Been using a FF2 for three years and I love it! Hasn’t failed me yet. Shot one left handed this year too

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 11:48:49 PM »
Venom hands down.   Who made that mouth yelper if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline wvnut3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 07:00:44 PM »
have had several Burris Fast fires ,never let me down. Yes the FF3 battery cover is trickey.Lee

Offline Stumpy225

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 03:06:23 PM »
Vortex Venom 3moa and a Sumtoy mount.

Offline badwolf

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 04:02:03 PM »
Do you guys prefer the 3 moa or the 6 moa?

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2020, 04:43:20 PM »
Warranty is great on both.. both great companies to deal with. I have 4 different FF3 - they are all great. I just use auto setting. As for the battery cover -  the issue is with the battery...not cover. Once I started using Duracell batteries.. the cover goes on smooth as glass. There must be some micro differences in the some of the batteries.  I'm sure some other batteries will work great as well. I just discovered this by accident when changing them one year....so I have continued to use Duracell.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2020, 12:24:12 PM »
Looking at Burris and Vortex information and they both have the auto setting for brightness so that issue not a deciding one. They both have a forever warranty also.
Burris claims weather resistant. Vortex water proof, (I've never had an issue with Burris even in a downpour).
The multicoating on the lens on Burris is between two pieces of glass. Vortex is on the lens surface. That could be an issue.
Burris operating temp. is -10 to 130...Vortex 22 to 122. For turkey hunters that should be a non issue except if you're out west early, that 22 degrees on the Vortex might be on the edge of it's capability.
Vortex has ten brightness settings in manual mode and an auto setting. Burris has 3 manual and an auto. I normally use the auto only on my Burris. I question the value of 10 settings.
Weight, .9 oz. for Burris, 1.1 oz. for Vortex. No real difference there.
Both have top load battery. That's an important feature since you don't need to take the sight off of the firearm to replace battery.
Pricewise. The Burris lists for $299. It sells for around $236. The Vortex lists for $329 and sells for around $229, so no significant difference there.
So, there's the comparison. Both great sights. I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

Offline rt2bowhunter

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 04:16:26 AM »
I just bought a FF3 a week ago. I put it on a Encore with a 15" 45/410 barrel. It has 3 brightness adjustments and the auto setting shares the same 3 brightness settings. Or at least it looks that way to me. It works very good in both bright sun and at very last light. So far i haven't come up with a reason to not use the auto setting. But being as this is a new to me turkey pistol after hunting it my opinion could change. I really don't see that happening. I have been at this hunting stuff for 40 some odd years  :). And test my stuff to the extreme before hunting it.

Sight in getting the heart of my pattern around the dot was very easy. They do supply a very small flathead screwdriver to adjust the sight. Id hold on to that because you pretty much need it.

All in all so far i like it.