OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Burris FF3 or Vortex Venom  (Read 9644 times)

Offline Squirrels

Burris FF3 or Vortex Venom
« on: April 16, 2019, 10:37:51 AM »
I'm new here, looked a little and didn't see a thread with similar title. If it has been discussed I apologize and please point me in that direction.
I have a M3020 Turkey Edition on order, I am going to put a red dot on it and was looking at these two. Anyone who has had BOTH give me pros and cons of one over the other. Thanks

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
Re: Burris FF3 or Vortex Venom
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:50:22 AM »
Go with the venom. I've got both but the 10 light settings are much better than the 3 on the Burris

Offline Squirrels

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:04:19 PM »
Go with the venom. I've got both but the 10 light settings are much better than the 3 on the Burris
Thanks, I was leaning that way. Plus, I think I read somewhere that the Venom turns on at whatever setting it was on when turned off last and the Burris always turns on to auto. Just what a read, not saying right or wrong.

Offline MissLouHunter

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 03:40:13 PM »
Ditto on the Venom

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 09:50:10 PM »
Thanks, I was leaning that way. Plus, I think I read somewhere that the Venom turns on at whatever setting it was on when turned off last and the Burris always turns on to auto. Just what a read, not saying right or wrong.

That’s true on the venom part. It turns on on either auto or the manual level you turned it off at. Which is really nice bc I’ve mostly been using the manual mode and I have grown kinda fond of a particular setting on manual so it’s nice not having to click back through or try to remember which number setting I like each morning.

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 09:32:13 AM »
Venom!

Offline mossyoakpro

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 06:06:18 PM »
Don't overlook the Leupold Delta Point Pro....I have been a Burris guy for a lot of years(even own the originals) but the DPP is the real deal.

I just put one on a new 20 gauge that I'm getting ready and I have been very impressed thus far...just my $.02

Best of luck!!
Phillippians 4:13

Offline Gmed

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 09:53:07 PM »
I have both and like them equally. What has been stated about the Venoms (10) settings is true but I leave em both set on sensor and they adjust themselves to whatever light is available accordingly...much easier than fooling with the little switches...

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 05:06:53 PM »
I have both and like them equally. What has been stated about the Venoms (10) settings is true but I leave em both set on sensor and they adjust themselves to whatever light is available accordingly...much easier than fooling with the little switches...
The problem with that is it over adjusts and the dot starbursts. I had to tape over the ff2 sensor or it was horrible. The venom does it in auto mode as well but not as bad

CrustyRusty

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 08:29:26 PM »
Exactly why I lean to the Venom.  I have both and like the Venom much more.  Plus it has more moa adjustment and I like the view better. 

Offline jryser

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 09:04:40 PM »
Venom hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline edward.penny

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 09:32:06 PM »
I have a Burris FF3 on my single shot 20. It is light and has worked great. Never tried the Vortex one.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Offline Squirrels

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 07:56:55 AM »
Well, as the OP, to give an update. First thanks for the info guys. I was settled on the Venom and then I stumbled upon a FF3 at a price I could not resist. I will rock the FF3 for a bit to see how it goes. Now if my M3020 Turkey Edition would arrive......

Offline taylorjones20

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 01:23:07 PM »
Well, as the OP, to give an update. First thanks for the info guys. I was settled on the Venom and then I stumbled upon a FF3 at a price I could not resist. I will rock the FF3 for a bit to see how it goes. Now if my M3020 Turkey Edition would arrive......

You will be happy with the FF3.  Deal or not it's a great sight.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 04:17:16 PM »

You will be happy with the FF3.  Deal or not it's a great sight.

Agreed.

I love the FF3 I have on my gun.  I have not found an instance where one of the three settings isn't appropriate for any given light situation. I have never felt that I need an "in between" setting under any condition.  Not that its right or wrong, but I personally don't see how 3 times as many settings for brightness make one a clearly better sight than the other.  I know that I personally like the second setting for pretty much all conditions (except for at first light right off the roost) so I can cycle through to that setting by pressing the button 3 times without having to actually look at the sight. 

Also,  It takes me less than a second to cylcle through all five settings (if you count off as one of the settings) to get the whatever setting necessary.