OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Jake Trotted Away  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Wvturkeyhunter

Jake Trotted Away
« on: April 15, 2019, 05:16:02 PM »
Hey guys,

Trying to figure out what caused Jake/maybe 2 year old Tom to turn and trot away. I was yelping and clucking on a box call. I heard loud clucks and yelping to my right about 75 yards away. For three series the turkey would talk with me and eventually trotted toward me like he was committed. After the third series though the bird turned and trotted away. No puts or flying. I was in a permanent blind he did not see me. Does this have to do with a calling issue or something else?? Just interested in seeing what you guys think :)

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
Re: Jake Trotted Away
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 05:19:47 PM »
A)  Another bird that you did not see saw you?
B) A coyote came to your oh so sweet calling and he saw the coyote?
C) Randomness of the turkey brain? 

I had a hen suddenly spook in a field, about 75 yards from me.  I thought WTH?  No way she saw me.  About 20 minutes later the coyote came creeping by.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Divenut2

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 06:04:47 PM »
Yep, I think g8rvet nailed it.  I had a scenario "A" encounter 2 years ago. Had a nice gobbler coming in from a distance. Got him within shooting range, I knew I was well hidden and thought to myself "It's go time". I eased my 12ga a left little bit to line up the shot when all of a sudden he alarms and takes of running, along with the hen that had snuck up silently behind me before busting me!

And of course, that scenario "C" seems to manifest itself time and time again. Just when you think you've got them all figured out, they surprise you. Oh the joy's of hunting. 
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 06:16:04 PM »
Was he trotting towards you, then during your 3rd series of calling he turned away from you?   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Wvturkeyhunter

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 06:23:13 PM »
Yes......clucking and yelping combination.

Offline Wvturkeyhunter

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 06:25:12 PM »
After I was finished though.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 07:24:24 PM »
That along with the other bird you heard could have been the issue.   If I have a bird coming towards me, especially trotting, he ain't hearing a peep out of me.  Even if he stops, but continues on towards me at a slow pace he ain't hearing nothing from me.  If he starts to veer of course a tad I may give him some leaf scratching or something subtle.  It could be as simple as he should have been able to see the other bird (you) from that point and when he didn't his instincts took over. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Offline Wvturkeyhunter

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 08:41:30 PM »
Makes sense!!!!

Thanks guys!!

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 12:54:15 PM »
Guess knows more about turkeys than me for, sure.(not sarcasm guess, I am serious)  Good points.

I had someone tell me when I started turkey hunting early on-he had been with me on a bunch of duck hunts-to call them like I call mallards,  Arses and elbows.  Call to their arses and their elbows. Not to their face.  If they are coming, let them come.  Makes sense and I have followed it.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 10:03:29 PM »
That along with the other bird you heard could have been the issue.   If I have a bird coming towards me, especially trotting, he ain't hearing a peep out of me.  Even if he stops, but continues on towards me at a slow pace he ain't hearing nothing from me.  If he starts to veer of course a tad I may give him some leaf scratching or something subtle.  It could be as simple as he should have been able to see the other bird (you) from that point and when he didn't his instincts took over.
Great post...

I bumped plenty of birds due to calling them when I could see them.

I do not believe turkeys are high up on the intellectual hierarchy, but I do think that they have overwhelming survival instincts partnered with excellent sight and hearing.

I think when they hear an "invisible turkey" that it possibly kicks the "run away" instinct into high gear.

Although I do not generally hunt from a blind, I feel that if I can see a turkey, he can see me (and hopefully does not recognize me as danger).  I try at all costs to avoid calling at a bird that I can see, or that I feel can see me.  They will pinpoint that sound to me, and are simply more likely to see something that they recognize as danger, or that "invisible hen" will freak them out.

Granted, I have had birds come right in while I was calling at them in close...  But being a bit more seasoned, if I feel I need to call at a bird that is near enough for me to see, I try and wait until he is behind an obstruction (such as a tree, bush, or rock) before I call at him, and only if he is not coming towards me anymore.

And...  as G8rvet points out, there could have been an unseen critter that scared the bird...  Or maybe a coffee mug fell in the blind, maybe he heard rustling around or talking in the blind???  Or, it is possible, that if you moved, even in the blind that he saw you.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 07:38:57 AM »
Another question I forgot to ask is did you have a decoy or decoys set out?
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Offline Wvturkeyhunter

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 02:26:49 PM »
Yes dsd feeder and dsd mating motion pair.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 03:37:21 PM »
That could have contributed to his change of course as well.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Offline Wvturkeyhunter

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 08:45:33 PM »
Do you suggest not putting out decoys in early season??

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 09:34:27 PM »
I never use them, but a lot of people have success with them.   Some turkeys just flat out don't like decoys, some pay no attention to them, and others come right in.   The bird you encountered could be one of those that shy away from them.  My train of thought is a decoy will spook some birds, not using a decoy won't.   

Keep in mind that decoys are like calls in the fact that there are right and wrong ways to use them.   
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff