OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tristar Raptor Youth or Mossberg SA20 for Daughter  (Read 1430 times)

Offline beagler

• Double Beard
Tristar Raptor Youth or Mossberg SA20 for Daughter
« on: February 04, 2020, 10:51:30 AM »
My 14 year old daughter previously shot a Mossberg 510 Mini Turkey Thug. The gun is almost too small for her now and the recoil is brutal with a 3” shell. I am considering purchasing either a Tristar Raptor Youth or the Mossberg SA20 Youth. I’m on a budget and am just looking at these two guns. Looking for some of your experience with the two. Also I had a Burris FF3 mounted on her 510. I know the Tristars aren’t drilled/tapped for optics but I heard they will accept a Sun Optics dovetail Mount? Anyone know if the Mossberg SA20 is drilled/tapped. I am not looking at the turkey model with the 22” barrel, I know that one is. Just the regular youth model with a 24” barrel. Although I will price both.
Never Misses

rdjustham

Re: Tristar Raptor Youth or Mossberg SA20 for Daughter
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 10:55:56 AM »
I have a full size Sa-20 that my son has shot and it is not drilled and tapped.

Offline Turkeyfever

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 07:50:52 PM »
 I have the Tri star raptor youth and it  is available at Walmart for 298 and is a great deal for that price! Yes it accepts a sun optics dove tail mount part # SM7015 The  gun is a turkey killing machine with a Carlson .575 and Federal TSS #9. The  gun has a  chrome lined barrel and is  easy maintenance. They  use the Bereta/ Benelli choke tubes .If you want to see pictures of what the mount looks like PM your # as I have no clue how to post a picture on here. The gun will kick no where near the pump! The Mossberg Sa 20 is not drilled and tapped but you are correct the Sa 20 turkey is , as I have it also and it's a great gun if you decide to look at it.

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 08:00:04 PM »
SA-20 Turkey is drilled and tapped. Tristar - some of them are - this one is cool, about the same price at SA-20, but more gun IMO -
https://www.classicfirearms.com/tristar-24152-viper-g2-brnz-bottomlands-20-24-ct-3/

I have a few Tristars, SA-20 and SA-459  - as said, Carlson .575 works great in all these Turkish guns.