OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Which 12ga has good trigger? Or one that can be easily modified  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Bigeclipse

Looking for my next turkey gun (preferably pump) but coming from nice rifle triggers...all the turkey guns I’ve shot so far leave a lot to be desired as far as triggers go. I do not have a gunsmith near me so trigger jobs are out BUT I do not mind doing “easy” type mods like changing out springs or even installing a trigger kit. So my question is which shotguns should I look at that have decent triggers out of the box or that can be easily modified? I would say a 4lb trigger would be ok. My rifle triggers are all 2.5lb custom triggers with no creep as an FYI. I don’t NEED that in a turkey gun but the closer I could get to that the better.

Offline WildSpur

• Longbeard
Re: Which 12ga has good trigger? Or one that can be easily modified
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 11:29:03 AM »
There is a Timney trigger option for the 870.   I have no experience with it.  My factory 870 trigger is not that bad to begin with though.   

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 11:44:30 AM »
Remington 870 or 11-87 with Timney trigger fix makes a huge difference. It comes with a new sear and three different weight springs. It is a simple install and only takes a few minutes.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline 30_06

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Esse quam videri
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 11:50:06 AM »
Ithaca has a great trigger.

Esse quam videri

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 06:35:15 PM »
I’ve had a few pumps and modified the trigger of all that were dedicated as turkey guns. A Mossberg 835 or 500 installed with M-carbo replacement springs is the best I’ve experienced.

Offline fmf

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 08:06:28 PM »
the mossberg 500 turkey thug model came stock with an adjustable trigger.  i think you can still find them for sale new in some places.  it adjusts down very light and crisp.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:53:44 PM »
Ithaca

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 03:14:55 PM »
Ithaca Turkey slayer!!!

Have a good one
Ray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline 243kid

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 08:21:17 PM »
Mossberg LPA Trigger

Offline Waynesworld23

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 07:25:22 PM »
I have the timney in my 870 and it made a world of difference in the overall weight and pull of the trigger is it as good as my model 70 no but it’s a lot smoother then most shotguns
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

Offline Reloader

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 02:56:53 PM »
The Remington 870/1100/1187 assembly is one of the easiest to lighten the pull weight on by simply adding a reduced power sear spring from Patriot or Ernie. The reduced pull weight also makes the creep much less noticeable.  I've had good success reducing 6-8lb triggers to a weight of 2.75-3.5lbs with those springs. 

The Weatherby assembly is another that's fairly simple to modify, although not quite as wimple as the Rem. 

You can make them even better with polishing, but I find that for a shotgun, 3-4lbs is plenty good for turkey hunting.

loder

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 04:08:34 PM »
I’ve had a few pumps and modified the trigger of all that were dedicated as turkey guns. A Mossberg 835 or 500 installed with M-carbo replacement springs is the best I’ve experienced.

X2. Put the m-carbo springs in my 500 and brought the weight from 8# to 3.75#. They made a world of difference and was fast,easy and cost effective.