OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pine ridge merriams looking for local hunters pine ridge area Nebraska  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Leland3636

Hello everyone.  I am Leland from elwood IN.  I am trying to meet my nephew in northwest Nebraska.  My nephew has always wanted to chase a merriam.  He is now stationed at fort Carson in Colorado springs and we only have a weekend to get it done.  We are planning to hunt the pine ridge area.  In your opinion is it possible to get on a bird possibly 2 in a weekend.  We can hike in as far as we need.  I can scout a day or two in advance but he is only allowed the weekend off for leave.
  We will be there the second weekend in may.  Is the pine ridge the best place to chase a merriam or should we be looking in another area.  Is there any locals in the area that would like to show us around or even help scout a day or two in advance of him meeting us or even want to hunt with us?  Any and I mean any helpful advice would be much appreciated emphasis on helpful though.  Thanks Leland

Good luck in whatever you endeavor to do.

Offline Mizzouhntr

Totally possible. I was up near Chadron last year with 4 buddies, never been before. We spent 4 days and killed 9 birds. I'm on the road at the moment, but I will PM you a map of where we had the best luck.

Offline Leland3636

Awesome thank you.  I was a little hesitant going halfway across the country for two days but he is going to make the trip also.  I haven't seen him since basic any help is appreciated. Never been on a hunt we didnt have fun on.

Offline spaightlabs

• Longbeard
Spanish Peaks SWA isn't far from Trinidad, CO which isn't too far south of your boy and that's Merriam's country.  Little bit further for you...

Thank you for raising a son that is willing to stand and serve!

Offline Leland3636

It is my nephew hunting.  I am going to help scout and to call for him as the tags are a bit pricey for out of state.  It would have been awesome to hunt Colorado but they are a draw state for Turkey.  At the time of the draw he was slated to be on a c130 to Afghanistan.  His tour got delayed however so we just trying to find a place to hunt in Nebraska.  To be honest with you Nebraska must have some very prized Turkey because they pretty close lipped about them.  I put up a post on different Nebraska site and didnt get the first bit of help as of yet. Got alot of it isnt possible go hunt this state instead.  Holding out on the fact that if the tables were turned I would be talking or even offer to take a service member in Indiana or atleast offer them a little help.  But to each their own.  Thinking I may just have to go a couple days before hand and scout.  More people say it cant be done the more likely it will. 

Offline spaightlabs

• Longbeard
I don't think Spanish Peaks is a draw unit but will double check - I took just a cursory glance yesterday.  We have a bunch of draw units out along the river in northeast Colorado but the vast majority of the state is over the counter.

Offline SD_smith

It is my nephew hunting.  I am going to help scout and to call for him as the tags are a bit pricey for out of state.  It would have been awesome to hunt Colorado but they are a draw state for Turkey.  At the time of the draw he was slated to be on a c130 to Afghanistan.  His tour got delayed however so we just trying to find a place to hunt in Nebraska.  To be honest with you Nebraska must have some very prized Turkey because they pretty close lipped about them.  I put up a post on different Nebraska site and didnt get the first bit of help as of yet. Got alot of it isnt possible go hunt this state instead.  Holding out on the fact that if the tables were turned I would be talking or even offer to take a service member in Indiana or atleast offer them a little help.  But to each their own.  Thinking I may just have to go a couple days before hand and scout.  More people say it cant be done the more likely it will.

Most turkey hunters don’t help others out and I’m not sure why. I’ve heard the reasons, but who knows. I try to help the best I can with those that come out to the Black Hills.

Offline Leland3636

Maybe we need to go to the black hills then.  Not that much further away.