turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Guys with red dots

Started by fadetoblack188, April 13, 2019, 05:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fadetoblack188

Just put a fast fire 3 on my supernova.  Should I start with a slug to sight this thing in so I know the dots on paper then go from there with the turkey loads?

Or should I just start with turkey loads

USMC0331

Start at 10 yards with bird shot.

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

3bailey3

I started with bird shot at 20 yards, two shots with that then two shots my turkey load and it was on!

valerio024

I started with a wheeler bore sight and didn't have to make an adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

As the others said, start with dove loads.  I use 12.5 yards as my starting point.  Most red dots have adjustments of 1/2 inch at 50 yards so you will have 1/8 inch adjustments at 12 to 13 yards.  After you adjust at 12.5 move to 25 (1/4th inch adjustments) with dove loads and see how the pattern looks, make any final adjustments.  When your satisfied at 25, throw in a turkey load at 40 and you should be good.

Ozarks Hillbilly

If you are shooting from a bench with some sort of rest you can can shoot a dove load at 8 - 10 yard's. You should basically end up with a ragged hole in paper. After firing put the dot back on your original POA and without moving the gun you or a friend can adjust the red dot to POI. At this point you can back up to your desired distance and check POA against POI with turkey load and make any final adjustments.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

silencer223

I just did this a few weeks ago. Get yourself a big target, I used NRA shotgun pattern targets (Midway USA 10 for $8) with my turkey choke in I started at 25, tooka a shot with my bead to confirm it was on. Then mounted my dot on the rail ontop of my Stoeger m3000. I was lucky enough the windage was spot on so I just needed to adjust elevation. I could also see down my vent rib to my bead so I could line it up and basically sort of bore sight the do to the bead. I started with dove loads at 25 and confirmed zero with a turkey load then check it at 40 yards and boom I was done. Granted I wasn't really done because I checked several loads at several different ranges. but its pretty straight forward.

fadetoblack188

Thanks guys I'll pick up some dove rounds tomorrow

keyser12ga

Not that it was asked, but for cheap patterning targets, Lowes has rolls of red rosin paper in the roofing section for like $13 that is 36"x150-ish yards that makes the task easy for a few years

mmorgan9812

Quote from: keyser12ga on April 16, 2019, 08:34:13 PM
Not that it was asked, but for cheap patterning targets, Lowes has rolls of red rosin paper in the roofing section for like $13 that is 36"x150-ish yards that makes the task easy for a few years

Never thought about doing that, Thanks!

bbcoach

Quote from: mmorgan9812 on April 16, 2019, 09:01:53 PM

Brown Paint paper from Lowes works well too.  I believe it is 36" wide by... the roll.

Bagg-it Tag-it

Quote from: bbcoach on April 17, 2019, 11:57:03 AM
Quote from: mmorgan9812 on April 16, 2019, 09:01:53 PM

Brown Paint paper from Lowes works well too.  I believe it is 36" wide by... the roll.
That is what I use as well. I put a 1" red tape square in the middle too.

Sasha and Abby

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on April 14, 2019, 12:22:19 PM
If you are shooting from a bench with some sort of rest you can can shoot a dove load at 8 - 10 yard's. You should basically end up with a ragged hole in paper. After firing put the dot back on your original POA and without moving the gun you or a friend can adjust the red dot to POI. At this point you can back up to your desired distance and check POA against POI with turkey load and make any final adjustments.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

THIS...

shuey270

I buy wrapping paper on sale after Christmas and use the inside.