OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: High humidity  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Southerngobbler

High humidity
« on: April 13, 2019, 05:53:46 PM »
I don't use pot calls a lot so I'm sure this is a dumb question but are there some pot calls that that just wont work when the humidity is high? It seems like here in the south if it's an overcast morning some of my softer sounding pot calls might as well stay in my pocket until some fog burns off.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
Re: High humidity
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »
Slate pots are very susceptible to humidity.  Slate is a soft porous material.  If you hunt high humidity, foggy and rainy days, they are hard to keep dry and playable.  I love slate surfaces and so do turkeys but always have other options in your arsenal.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 07:21:40 PM »
An aluminum for damp conditions is an answer. Al with Enticer makes pots that would probably play under water.

Offline PEte_A

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 08:19:18 PM »
I Always have a dawkins aluminum in the vest for exactly this reason

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 08:34:44 PM »
I love gray slate but here in the south you have to work around the weather for consistency. I have been using red and green more this year and all though the humidity hurts some , I have found they work much better. Im not an aluminum fan and very seldom run it , but my crystal and glass preform fine. It seems harder strikers are more resistant than softer woods from my experience.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 09:42:11 PM »
I keep a lighter in my vest to run the flame under the slate to dry it out if needed. You can see the moisture come out and then wipe it off and touch up with a scratching pad

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 09:47:54 PM »
Aluminum for me

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 08:29:36 AM »
I love gray slate but here in the south you have to work around the weather for consistency. I have been using red and green more this year and all though the humidity hurts some , I have found they work much better. Im not an aluminum fan and very seldom run it , but my crystal and glass preform fine. It seems harder strikers are more resistant than softer woods from my experience.

I`m  sure my Crystal Mistress would play in the damp but I`m reluctant to expose the wood to the wet.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 09:03:19 AM »
You can use hand warmers either ones foot or hand ... these help .... in keeping your pot call warm....on those kind of morning ...

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 09:08:52 AM »

I`m  sure my Crystal Mistress would play in the damp but I`m reluctant to expose the wood to the wet.

I was talking about humidity , not rain showers. Thats what waterproof calls are made for.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 01:32:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I do have an aluminum that I can't seem to get a sound out of on most days. Its a production call and maybe isn't very well made. Maybe ill try a ceramic.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 06:17:39 PM »
SG, look for personal message.

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 08:10:48 PM »
Get your self a striker that will run wet problem solved
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 07:36:05 PM »
Here in south Florida had a few days 85 degrees, 80% humidity. My green slate would not run. But that’s one reason I have a Crystal Mistress. With a carbon tip it ran great.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 01:31:24 PM »
I play all surfaces all year long and during High humidity times. The trick for me is to let the call breathe outside of a pocket. Lay it on something and let the call get used to the conditions before you try to play it. Carbon or synthetic strikers help with this a bunch. I have played in 90 degree temperatures and 80% humidity with every surface. That is taking them out of the air conditioning straight into the heat. You can watch slate start drying out after while then you can play it. Copper sweats for a while but you can wipe it off but once it quits sweating you can play it. I still have problems if it’s hot and I pull a call from my vest pocket and try to play it. Maybe a mesh pocket that would let a call breathe before you got to your spot would help this. I heard one person say he leaves his hunting calls in his truck overnight to adjust to the climate, it might work great but I would forget them