OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Carlson extended choke vs long beard xr choke  (Read 2363 times)

Offline BigGare

Carlson extended choke vs long beard xr choke
« on: April 13, 2019, 03:05:22 PM »
My girlfriend has an 1187 compact. (20 gauge) we got a few loads for her to shoot. At 30 yards with the Carlson extended choke we had 125 pellets in the 10" with hevi shot 5,6,7 blend (best load by far). At $6 a shot I was trying to steer away from them. I shoot a 12 gauge 1187 with lbxrs and an Indian creek choke and it shoots great. At the local gander I can get a longbeard xr choke for her gun but wanna see if anyone had shot the two chokes (standard extended Carlson and the xr carlson) and actually saw a difference before spending the money thanks for the help in advance. I only plan on having her shoot a 35/40 yard max distance but dont want to start her off by having a bird get away

Offline DBell

Re: Carlson extended choke vs long beard xr choke
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 04:13:56 PM »
My girlfriend has an 1187 compact. (20 gauge) we got a few loads for her to shoot. At 30 yards with the Carlson extended choke we had 125 pellets in the 10" with hevi shot 5,6,7 blend (best load by far). At $6 a shot I was trying to steer away from them. I shoot a 12 gauge 1187 with lbxrs and an Indian creek choke and it shoots great. At the local gander I can get a longbeard xr choke for her gun but wanna see if anyone had shot the two chokes (standard extended Carlson and the xr carlson) and actually saw a difference before spending the money thanks for the help in advance. I only plan on having her shoot a 35/40 yard max distance but dont want to start her off by having a bird get away
Did you try the mag blends at 35? I bet you’ll still see a a good killing pattern with the setup you have. Probabaly still be good at 38 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BigGare

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 04:45:49 PM »
The hevi shot were a great pattern even out to 40 yards but at $6 a shot I wanted to go with the lbxr since they are $16 for 10 shots.

Offline DBell

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 05:22:01 PM »
The hevi shot were a great pattern even out to 40 yards but at $6 a shot I wanted to go with the lbxr since they are $16 for 10 shots.
Oh you’re wondering if you should get the Carlson’s LB choke to shoot Longbeards out of her 20 gauge? I bet that .575 will shoot them fine. Is that the constriction on the choke you have already?

Offline BigGare

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 06:01:40 PM »
Yeah I believe so. Was just wondering if the long beard choke would make a difference because its special for them

Offline DBell

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 06:03:55 PM »
Yeah I believe so. Was just wondering if the long beard choke would make a difference because its special for them
I have a .565 trulock and a .570 rob roberts that both shoot over 100 in 10” every shot. They are almost too tight for my liking. That .575 is probably the ticket

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 06:25:16 PM by DBell »

Offline BigGare

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 06:50:02 PM »
What ammo? And what yardage

Offline DBell

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 07:50:25 PM »
What ammo? And what yardage
Both a 21” and 26” barrel 870 using LB #6 at 40 yards

Offline BigGare

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 07:57:48 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will have to have her shoot it at 40 and 20 with the current choke. If its not any good I'll just go back to buying the hevi shot mag blends. They were nice just expensive

Offline DBell

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 08:32:32 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will have to have her shoot it at 40 and 20 with the current choke. If its not any good I'll just go back to buying the hevi shot mag blends. They were nice just expensive
The other thing you could do is load the longbeard in if you’re in a setup where you can only shoot, let’s just say, 30 yards or so, and bring a couple mag blends if you end up in a setup where 40 yard shots are possible.
This is what I do except I’ll be using a less expensive load (fed grand slam) for 32-35 yard setups, and anything greater I have mag blends to cover it. The majority of shots at birds in the woods will be under 30, so save the expensive stuff for when you need it. If you’re unsure, just load up the mag blends! Better than a missed bird like you mentioned. Give an update on how the Longbeards shoot out of the .575