OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Box call conditioning  (Read 1461 times)

Offline MikeStaten

• The Boss Gobbler
Box call conditioning
« on: April 13, 2019, 07:14:57 AM »
Aside from adding chalk to the paddle on occasion, is there anything else you do to condition your box calls?

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Box call conditioning
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 10:18:00 AM »
I actually take a scratch bright pad and lightly remove the old chalk every so often and reapply fresh chalk. I also lightly clean the rails. May not be necessary but I feel like it livens up the call some. Also I like to just keep it lightly chalked. I have seen guys scrub chalk on the lid so thick it looks like a harlots make up job. In my opinion you can over chalk just like under chalking. Also a great box call will run chalkless. I never do it because I believe that that will create smooth spots on the lid that will produce sqeaks. All this things can affect the sound quality of the call. This is only my opinion. Also I believe the box call receives less attention as far as care than a pot or most any other call. This is all my 2 cents.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 10:45:11 AM »
The best conditioning is chalk and running the crap out of your calls ....

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 12:01:09 PM »
I actually take a scratch bright pad and lightly remove the old chalk every so often and reapply fresh chalk. I also lightly clean the rails. May not be necessary but I feel like it livens up the call some. Also I like to just keep it lightly chalked. I have seen guys scrub chalk on the lid so thick it looks like a harlots make up job. In my opinion you can over chalk just like under chalking. Also a great box call will run chalkless. I never do it because I believe that that will create smooth spots on the lid that will produce sqeaks. All this things can affect the sound quality of the call. This is only my opinion. Also I believe the box call receives less attention as far as care than a pot or most any other call. This is all my 2 cents.

:agreed:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Online vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 11:29:14 PM »
I do very much the same as spitten and drummen.
When using the green scotch Brite I am VERY light with it. Basically no pressure and maybe 3 or 4 strokes the entire length of the rail and that's it. I will do this when I put the call away in the off season after using a paper towel to remove all the chalk. I may do it once, no more than twice during the season if it's seeing heavy use. I do not use sand paper on the rails, green scotch Brite and that is it. I do not want to change the profile of the rails what so ever.
If the call has had a lot of use and the underside of the lid is getting shined up and real slick I will use 150 grit sand paper on it. Very lighty with no pressure, following the radius of the lid, run a few strokes the  length of the paddle to raise the grain back up. You do not want to take material off, or change the radius. You are just raising the grain.
The tuning screw, in general leave it alone!
If the call is sounding out of tune, or in need of adjustment, you should not have to turn it in or out more than +/- 1/4 turn in either direction. If you do need to adjust the screw, be sure to use the correct bit, so you don't strip the screw at all. The screw will turn HARD with some box woods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 07:27:02 AM by vt35mag »