Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Carlson’s Extended Turkey Choke v. Carlson’s Longbeard XR Choke

Started by valerio024, April 12, 2019, 11:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valerio024

Does anyone know if there is a difference between these two chokes other than the porting in the Longbeard version? I have a .660 ext version for my 870 and noticed that the Longbeard for the 870 is the same constriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mightyjoeyoung

The longbeard choke has wad slowing rings in it.  The standard Carlson's chokes don't.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

lowoctane

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 13, 2019, 12:25:04 AM
The longbeard choke has wad slowing rings in it.  The standard Carlson's chokes don't.
Personally, I don't like the wad stopping rings, as they require cleaning after every shot to see consistency. You can fudge a bit more with a non ringed tube.

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

DMTJAGER

Quote from: lowoctane on May 29, 2019, 03:32:01 AM
Personally, I don't like the wad stopping rings, as they require cleaning after every shot to see consistency. You can fudge a bit more with a non ringed tube.

Please enlighten me as to how you discovered the need to clean the wad slowing rings in the Long beard choke tube? I have the same choke and never have cleaned it, didn't know I had to till now after your mentioned it. Might explain some of my pattern issues.

I also have an Indian Creek BDSS choke that has lateral ports that contact and slow down the wad hestening its separation. Is it advisable to clean it after one or more shots akso?

lowoctane

Quote from: DMTJAGER on June 03, 2019, 05:07:10 PM
Quote from: lowoctane on May 29, 2019, 03:32:01 AM

Please enlighten me as to how you discovered the need to clean the wad slowing rings in the Long beard choke tube? I have the same choke and never have cleaned it, didn't know I had to till now after your mentioned it. Might explain some of my pattern issues.

I also have an Indian Creek BDSS choke that has lateral ports that contact and slow down the wad hestening its separation. Is it advisable to clean it after one or more shots akso?
First shot was a somewhat even pattern and the second and third shots blew holes in the target paper. Pulled the choke and it was full of plastic residue.

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life