OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is the Deal?

Started by Punisher, April 12, 2019, 09:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Punisher

I tape off the distance almost every time that I pattern my gun. I am getting nowhere the results some people are getting from the Fed TSS 9's. I have tried multiple chokes, and nothing close to the patterns that I see posted. I shoot a Rem. 870 that I put a 21" barrel on. I have a 26" barrel that was on it, and it patterned great. Would the barrel be the problem? I am getting very frustrated!

davisd9

Are you using a tighter choke in the 21"?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

Punisher

Quote from: davisd9 on April 12, 2019, 09:40:19 PM
Are you using a tighter choke in the 21"?

SSX and Carlson's TSS choke. So, yes.

Punisher

dirt road ninja

That does seem low, I've never played with factory loaded TSS, but my 12 gauge did better with an open choke. .710 with TSS compared to 675 with Hevi 7's. My 20 was better with the tighter chokes, but wasn't 220 bad with the open chokes.  Sucks ya burning ammo with poor results.

sasquatch1

have the same gun, it does best with chokes in the .555 range

is barrel clean? also is this a 1-1/2 oz load? A lot of guys load a 1-5/8 oz load so there are more pellets in the load to start.

chatterbox

Contact William at SumToy. He might be able to help tighten that up.

tree-rat sniper

I had similar results with 21 vs 26.  The 26 shot better (both using the tightwad choke).  I Did the Flitz treatment to both barrels, I'll probably try some different chokes later this year, I have an 870 undertaker around here someplace... Going using the Franchi this year since 3rd season opens Wed.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

limbhanger777

How clean is your barrel? I've been surprised how much of a difference a dirty barrel makes in my 12 ga 870.

owlhoot

Sound about right . I got 210-240 out of 4 guns