OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Need advice on different calls  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Jfgonzales

Need advice on different calls
« on: April 12, 2019, 02:22:47 PM »
I have always bought my turkey calls from Walmart or Cabelas etc. Usually Hunters Specialties or Primos, maybe a Quaker boy here or there. These calls have served me well over the years. I know if it’s not broke don’t fix it. But I would like to get a good custom box call as well as a pot call. I have an ol mama hen and the field champion box call from Hunters Specialties. As for pot calls I have the Hunters Specialties ringzone slate and the world champion triple glass. I have always been fond of slate. I have tried glass but keep going back to slate. And I have never tried ceramic or aluminum. What is the best all around surface type? This year I picked up a woodhaven call from Cabelas and it it my new favorite mouth call. It is the Billy Yargus signature double reed. This might be a stupid question, but are custom calls any better than your standard general store turkey calls? Thanks for any input!

Offline Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Need advice on different calls
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 03:04:42 PM »
My .02, is custom calls are more consistent and QC means more to the builder.

Offline MikeStaten

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 03:53:42 PM »
Some factory calls sound pretty good but for the most part they won't compare to a good custom call.  Ceramic is a pretty versatile surface as it can do soft calls like a slate and still get high pitched like a glass/crystal.  That said, more often than not I reach for my aluminum calls.  Lon Trice, James Witmer and Darrin Dawkins are among my favorite aluminums.  Lon Trice also makes a great ceramic.  For the money, the Dawkins plastic pot calls are hard to beat.

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 04:07:44 PM »
I would get a David Halloran ceramic surface pot, they are very easy to run. I would also get a box call from David Halloran.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 04:25:20 PM »
If you want a dang fine sounding ceramic , get one from stumpy right here.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 01:30:14 PM »
I have always bought my turkey calls from Walmart or Cabelas etc. Usually Hunters Specialties or Primos, maybe a Quaker boy here or there. These calls have served me well over the years. I know if it’s not broke don’t fix it. But I would like to get a good custom box call as well as a pot call. I have an ol mama hen and the field champion box call from Hunters Specialties. As for pot calls I have the Hunters Specialties ringzone slate and the world champion triple glass. I have always been fond of slate. I have tried glass but keep going back to slate. And I have never tried ceramic or aluminum. What is the best all around surface type? This year I picked up a woodhaven call from Cabelas and it it my new favorite mouth call. It is the Billy Yargus signature double reed. This might be a stupid question, but are custom calls any better than your standard general store turkey calls? Thanks for any input!
I have only been into custom calls for 3 years now I am addicted. I got into them so I would have an edge over a lot of my competition by having calls that they don’t because they would buy there calls at the same places you did. You don’t have to buy a bunch of calls like I did but I would buy the best of a couple different styles of calls that you can afford and see what you think. I think you would be happy

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 02:33:56 PM »
Yes, well-designed and made custom calls are better. It isn't to say they're better at actually killing than a well-tuned factory call, but you will get truer sound and easier play. I do believe having a custom call makes a difference on hard pressured birds because you can do more with one.

As for which is the best type, you really have to try them in person to see what suits you. Then you get to see which of what suited you the turkeys prefer.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 04:19:06 PM »
Trouble is a coming
It's not always greener on the other side
Don't stray  ,  stay
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field