OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: normal 835 vs tactical turkey  (Read 1297 times)

Offline gersus

normal 835 vs tactical turkey
« on: April 03, 2019, 05:50:09 PM »
I've wanted a 835 tactical turkey for years and haven't either had the money or been able to find one. Well, they're making them again! I want one because its short, easier to manage in thick woods, and easier to carry in the truck.
I already have two 835's with regular stocks, 28” barrels . Just beater guns really. But they sure put the gobbler's down.
I've also read some potential issue with the 20" barrel. Not sure if the short barrel is really a problem or not. I don't mind a little loss in velocity or pattern. It'll still put em down.

Is it worth it though to spend the money on a tactical turkey or should I stick with my normal 835's?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:28:09 PM by gersus »

Offline old3toe

Re: normal 835 vs tactical turkey
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 11:13:29 PM »
 I have the 835 grand slam which is the 20" barrel version with regular stock. I've had no issues with the gun patterning any different than some other 835's with the longer barrels. Generally you can go tighter on the choke than with the 24" barrel guns but mine with the shortest barrel shoots some nice patterns. I love how it carries and handles in the "jungle" that I hunt. Also I opted for the regular stock version over the adjustable stock because the latter seemed front heavy to me with that 10ga barrel on it.

Offline gersus

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 08:52:40 AM »
yes, thank you for the reply. I use an old stardot choke now and have had great success with it. I typically use older hevi-shot but am getting low so not sure what loads I'm going to purchase.

Offline old3toe

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:27:25 PM »
 I've yet to try a stardot choke in mine but I'd think it'll do just fine. I shot Longbeards in mine mostly but have shot lots of lead loads just experimenting and playing around with it. I've got a kicks .670 in it now and it seems to like winchester supreme 3" 6's and double X 3.5" 2 1/4oz 6's. I shot a pattern last year with the double X load in the 160's in the 10" at 40yds. I thought that was pretty decent for lead. In the Longbeard loads I favored the 3.5" 2oz 4's. The best pattern I shot with them was an undertaker choke if I remember correctly, and it was in the 170's at 40yds. I posted that pattern on here somewhere. I noticed the Longbeards poi was wondering though along with several other guys I know so I went away from them. I have a half a box of the old winchester extended range loads I'm gonna shoot one and see what they'll do in the kicks choke. They're 3.5" 5's. I'm out of the supreme 6's and double X 6's. I've never tried any HD, hevi 13, or tss loads out of it though. I'm sure they'll do great but I don't think I need them just yet.lol

Offline Bagg-it Tag-it

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 05:43:08 PM »
Gersus,

Not sure if you have bought the tactical turkey 835 yet. I have one. Bought it 11 or so years ago. Here are a few things to think about. The tactical stock makes it really difficult to press the action bar release button. You have to physically turn the gun upside down and awkwardly press it because the pistol grip is in the way. I hated the stock and ended up getting a regular stock. I thought I'd like it but definitely did not because of what I stated above. I love the 20" barrel as far as creeping around the woods. It doesnt' snag on branches or bushes and stuff. However, the gun just didn't shoot where I aimed it. I don't know if the short barrel was part of that issue or not....but not having as long of an axis to look down always felt like was part of the problem. So I had to put a red dot on the gun to make it shoot where I was aiming. Now with a regular stock and a red dot....it is an acceptable turkey gun. It is the one I take. It is rugged as h*ll as you know. Good luck and let us know if you get one and if you like it as much as you thought.