OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Barrel porting.

Started by bkraft, April 10, 2019, 10:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkraft

I have an older Mossberg 835 Turkey gun and true to type it kicks HARD, to be honest the "face slap' is the most annoying. Does anyone know who would port the barrel keeping in mind it is camo?

Gen.27:3

I hate to discourage you, but I don't think that porting will help the face slap very much. However, to answer your question, I have had Rhino do their EDM porting on a shotgun for me in the past.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

dirt road ninja

BandedSpur

mightyjoeyoung

Pick up a shim kit.  I got mine off Ebay for around 10 bucks.  If you're using sights or optics, you want to bring the comb of the stock up as well.  99%of felt recoil with the 835 is cheek slap. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 11, 2019, 07:35:06 AM
Quote from: dirt road ninja on April 11, 2019, 02:47:42 AM
0 difference in recoil.

But at least it will be louder. :toothy12:
Yep ...only difference I've noticed is how much louder it is with ported barell
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

yelpy

Yep, porting is a waist. Not worth even looking into it. It will kick hard unless you shoot lighter loads or add some weight to the gun. Any 12 guage will beat you up with  heavy turkey loads. I've had a bunch of 12 guage Turkey guns, semi auto and pump. The worst was the Mossy 535.

You might want to look into a 20 guage in the future if you arent liking the recoil of the 12. If you load your own you can taylor the loads to your liking for the 12.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

bkraft

I really appreciate the in put, just what I need to know. Next question, as we age, I am 62 do we get more recoil sensitive?

deerpoo22

Guess that depends on you. My pop is 65 and refuses to stop using his SP-10 with 2 5/8 oz loads lol

BandedSpur

Quote from: bkraft on April 11, 2019, 02:28:23 PM
I really appreciate the in put, just what I need to know. Next question, as we age, I am 62 do we get more recoil sensitive?

For me, absolutely yes, and I am "only" 57. Shoulders aren't what they used to be due to arthritis and 57 years of wear and tear. We also naturally lose muscle mass as we age and that doesn't help either. That's why I handload 1&5/8 oz of TSS at 1100 fps for my 12 ga. Recoil is very manageable, and that load does 345/10 @ 40. Don't feel like I am giving up anything compared to the 2.5 oz retina detachers out there except recoil.

LGN

Having the forcing cone extended will help

Greg Massey

Agree , i have one that's factory ported , and i can't see were it helps ... it might make the gun little lighter ... if i was going to go to all that expense , i would just buy another gun ...

lowoctane

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 11, 2019, 07:56:26 AM
Pick up a shim kit.  I got mine off Ebay for around 10 bucks.  If you're using sights or optics, you want to bring the comb of the stock up as well.  99%of felt recoil with the 835 is cheek slap.

X 2!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Bowguy

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 11, 2019, 07:35:06 AM
Quote from: dirt road ninja on April 11, 2019, 02:47:42 AM
0 difference in recoil.

But at least it will be louder. :toothy12:

Another point regarding the louder. It sends the louder sideways right into your partner's face. Myself I'd never share any type area w a guy n a ported gun.
My buddy Joe had a ported 835 he tried duck hunting with. I told him once, if he ever brought it again I'd not go w him.