OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Funky chicken  (Read 7013 times)

Offline Gen.27:3

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Funky chicken
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 07:27:25 PM »
Thanks for the information guys. I am seriously considering adding the chicken to my arsenal.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

Offline rraymond

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 09:07:50 PM »
2 yrs ago I shot a nice gobbler over a funky Jake /hen combo. 2minutes after my shot another tom came in  to the setup . The next day hunting the same piece of public land we had another nice bird come in to the funky..let's just say my buddy didn't do his part :) like anything else sometimes it works ..other times it doesn't.

Offline mike103

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 11:19:26 AM »
 I’ve used it in a field several times. I put out hens in the Field and the FC on the edge.

I had two big gobbles attack the chicken at the same time once and I doubled with my brother.

Makes them mad.

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 09:27:59 PM »
One of the biggest benefits of using the funky chicken is that some loser is way less likely to shoot it and maybe you in the process. Where I hunt on public land I feel way more comfortable with a funky out in front of me that a DSD. With the DSD you'd need a bullet  proof vest and a helmet.

Offline Coroner01

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 01:50:29 AM »
I love this thing....it is ugly, bright and well....needs its butt kicked.  I have had multiple gobblers, and jakes come in for a swing at him.   Its so funny to watch.  I just purchased the Primos wounded gobbler because it was on clearance for 5 dollars at Big R.  I am thinking about putting the funky chicken next to the wounded one to see what will come in.  al

Offline limbhanger777

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 04:21:30 PM »
Always have thought about getting one, makes sense that it would trigger the dominance instinct of other birds.

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2019, 12:55:59 AM »
While I've taken a dozen or so gobblers with the aid of the Funky Chicken, this morning a tom locked up at about 80 yards where he could clearly see the Funky Chicken over a hen on the ground. He paced back and forth anxiously before leaving, triple and quadruple gobbling as he made a half-circle around me at about 150 yards. He eventually just quit gobbling and stood there for a half-hour before moving away. I'm guessing that he was at the bottom of any peck order in the area. In the past, once a gobbler spied the Funky Chicken, he moved quickly to challenge him, much to my delight!

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2019, 12:09:13 PM »
While I've taken a dozen or so gobblers with the aid of the Funky Chicken, this morning a tom locked up at about 80 yards where he could clearly see the Funky Chicken over a hen on the ground. He paced back and forth anxiously before leaving, triple and quadruple gobbling as he made a half-circle around me at about 150 yards. He eventually just quit gobbling and stood there for a half-hour before moving away. I'm guessing that he was at the bottom of any peck order in the area. In the past, once a gobbler spied the Funky Chicken, he moved quickly to challenge him, much to my delight!
Pretty much my one and only experience with the Funk.  He stayed out about 75 yards and would not come one step closer!  I pulled the chicken and he came back an hour later and came right on in.  I reckon nothing is 100% and I may just take him in the morning.  Maybe just happened my first experience was a bad one.  Y'all have me rethinking it.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Plush

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2019, 12:37:56 PM »

Which really isn’t a funky chicken fault...at least specifically. Any male decoy would have scared it off I am sure.