OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Help with first sight  (Read 10533 times)

Offline Twodogs

Help with first sight
« on: April 10, 2019, 05:49:17 PM »
I am new to turkey hunting and appreciate your help in choosing a scope/sight for my SBE II. I have read good reviews on the Trijicon RMR Red Dot Sight and the Burris FastFire III. Is the Trijicon worth the extra money? Is there another option I am not considering?  Also, do I want the 3MOA? Thanks in advance.

Offline Rem Man

Re: Help with first sight
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 07:22:57 PM »
  The trigacon is a great sight but honestly the fastfireiii is just as nice! I prefer the 3 moa but thats personal preference. I have had both on my turkey guns and my law enforcement guns and can say I would save some cash and go with the fastfire iii. Good luck!

CrustyRusty

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 08:34:37 PM »
Get the vortex venom 3moa. It has 10 intensity levels and more moa adjustments. Or buy the aimpoint 9000sc for sale on here. It’s an excellent sight

Offline Twodogs

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 11:01:15 AM »
I appreciate the help. Can’t wait to get my gun dialed in.

Offline randy6471

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:34:32 PM »
 X2 Vortex Venom

Offline valerio024

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 11:30:09 PM »
If you don’t want to spend a couple hundred bucks, I’d recommend the red dot made by AT3 Tactical. It’s like $75 on Amazon and has a lifetime warranty. Excellent Reviews as well. Mine has been holding zero and it was easy to sight in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ManfromGreenSwamp

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 12:07:13 AM »
Depends on how much you hunt and how much you’re looking to spend.
I just installed the rmr Trijicon (fiber/tritium-12.9MOA triangle)on my Benelli SBE2 and am so very pleased with my choice. I looked at Leupold Delta Point Pro, but when it came to mounting options it just wasn’t there...
There’s a heap of low pro mounts for the Burris FFs. It really boils down to what you want.
“First one to the carcass gets the most”
-T.Farley

“I’m livin ta rest, I was born tired”
-B.Button

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 04:47:42 AM »

-T.Farley

-B.Button

Offline rusty842

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »
p
I just installed the rmr Trijicon (fiber/tritium-12.9MOA triangle)on my Benelli SBE2 and am so very pleased with my choice. I looked at Leupold Delta Point Pro, but when it came to mounting options it just wasn’t there...
There’s a heap of low pro mounts for the Burris FFs. It really boils down to what you want.

How is precision aiming with the Triangle. I bought a dual illumination RMR with the 7.0 MOA Amber Dot and I didn’t like it al all. It just seemed to big to precisely place it on a gobbler head at 50yds. Im sending it back to Optics Planet. I’m debating the 12.9MOA Triangle or the 3.25MOA Dot for the replacement. I like the idea of no batteries or electronics in the Dual Illuminated but not crazy about the reticle options. Also have read that the Triangle sight is not as bright as the Dot.

Also anyone using the LED vs the Adjustable LED? Is the Adjustable LED necessary for the Turkey woods?

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 11:31:11 AM »
p

How is precision aiming with the Triangle. I bought a dual illumination RMR with the 7.0 MOA Amber Dot and I didn’t like it al all. It just seemed to big to precisely place it on a gobbler head at 50yds. Im sending it back to Optics Planet. I’m debating the 12.9MOA Triangle or the 3.25MOA Dot for the replacement. I like the idea of no batteries or electronics in the Dual Illuminated but not crazy about the reticle options. Also have read that the Triangle sight is not as bright as the Dot.

Also anyone using the LED vs the Adjustable LED? Is the Adjustable LED necessary for the Turkey woods?

Best thing I’ve ever saw, hands down well worth the money. I set my pattern to where it shoots center mass at the point/tip of the triangle. So basically I place the head of the gobbler atop it. It’s very precision...
Took an Osceola just this weekend in heavy, heavy fog at first light, where I thought the sight wouldn’t even illuminate but it was as bright as could be. It’s a super, super product.

-T.Farley

-B.Button

Offline rusty842

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 11:42:13 AM »
p

Best thing I’ve ever saw, hands down well worth the money. I set my pattern to where it shoots center mass at the point/tip of the triangle. So basically I place the head of the gobbler atop it. It’s very precision...
Took an Osceola just this weekend in heavy, heavy fog at first light, where I thought the sight wouldn’t even illuminate but it was as bright as could be. It’s a super, super product.

Great to hear, but upon further research it seems that I have an astigmatism that I was unaware of. I watched several videos on YouTube about the issue with red dots. The 7 MOA Amber Dot “bloomed” and makes it appears larger than it actually is. I thought it was a brightness issue at first and I placed tape over the fiber optic which helped some. I’m going to see if I can put my hands on one with a triangle reticle before I make my final decision. I’m wondering if color might have something to do with it as well.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 11:50:12 AM »
I have on of these that I love. Only minor issue is if you are in a dark area aiming into a very bright area like in a blind shooting out. The dot is kinda hard to pickup but it’s not a deal breaker

Offline rusty842

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 11:58:04 AM »
I have on of these that I love. Only minor issue is if you are in a dark area aiming into a very bright area like in a blind shooting out. The dot is kinda hard to pickup but it’s not a deal breaker

One the one I have (Dual Illuminated with 7 MOA Amber Dot) if you look from inside the house out into the yard, I see a perfect dot like intended. It is hard to pickup but plenty bright to get the job done.

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 12:39:48 PM »

One the one I have (Dual Illuminated with 7 MOA Amber Dot) if you look from inside the house out into the yard, I see a perfect dot like intended. It is hard to pickup but plenty bright to get the job done.

The green is super sharp. I didn’t wanna go with a red colored, red dot, because I figured it would get lost in the red of the gobblers neck/head. I can see where an Amber colored dot would be hard to pickup in certain situations. My triangle ended up only sitting about a cm above the front bead when looking through it down the barrel.
The sight is crazy bright outside compared to indoors. It’s really clear though it does seem to have a slight purple-ish hue to it almost like looking through sunglasses but it doesn’t effect vision one bit. I can’t recommend the triangle enough... it’s awesome.

-T.Farley

-B.Button

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 12:42:54 PM »

Playing with it in mock situations, i had that happen as well .I loose it indoors on bright surfaces in heavy light but in the feild it has performed great.

I totally understand if you were to say set up looking into a sunrise it would hamper it some like you say.

-T.Farley

-B.Button