OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: less or more top reed?  (Read 3240 times)

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
less or more top reed?
« on: April 10, 2019, 10:19:18 AM »
Ok less top reed gives a higher front note or more top reed?  I am referring to the cut.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: less or more top reed?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 12:12:03 PM »
Less.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 06:57:47 AM »
So the less latex removed from the top reed the less raspier the call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zeke6685

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 09:03:17 PM »
Usually the deeper the cut the raspier the call will be. If a call is to raspy there are other things you can do, like trimming the ears on a v cut that will take a little rasp out of it.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 10:04:06 PM »
Apologies, I thought you meant top reed overhang from the bottom reed(s). As Zeke said deeper cuts do make a call have more rasp.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 08:41:49 AM »
There's a lot of things that affect rasp.  The shape of the cut, the depth of the cut, the number of tags left from the cut, the stager of the reed stacks(overhang) and the material it's self.  Some colors sermon to have more inherit rasp (red) than others (gray or natural).
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 11:53:39 PM »
There are a lot of things that affect rasp.  The shape of the cut, the depth of the cut, the number of tags left from the cut, the stagger of the reed stacks(overhang) and the material itself.  Some colors seem to have more inherit rasp (red) than others (gray or natural).

This.   There are many variables that affect the amount of rasp and the tone/pitch of a call. In fact, there are so many factors involved that it is pretty difficult to identify the combinations that consistently produce the most realistic sounds based on a given users abilities.  Add to that the fact that very minute differences in call construction and the latex consistency can change the sound of any call significantly.

It should be noted that a mouth call user with lots of experience/skill can manipulate any decent call/cut design to produce both clear and raspy yelps just by changing air pressure and flow over the reeds.  Air pressure is controlled primarily by diaphragm and throat tightening and tongue placement and pressure control air bursts over the reeds and the location of that air pressure over the reeds.

Master air and tongue control first and then learn how to modify each call to produce the sounds you are looking for.   :icon_thumright: