OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: reeds losing tension  (Read 2655 times)

Offline gobbler336

reeds losing tension
« on: April 18, 2019, 02:02:17 AM »
i use the small frame crowned from pioneer, i can  occasionally make a call and it seems to last but more times than not ill make a real goodun and within two hunts it turns real wrinkly on top and looses its sound so im assuming the adhesion has loosened, thoughts and opinions to fix this problem?  i use a hand jig and crimp the corners with needle noose pliers per thads instructions

Offline Pettit877

Re: reeds losing tension
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:46:32 AM »
Take an all and put two indents in the frame. One on either side.  This will lock in the latex.

Eric

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:05:53 AM »
I suggest taking a mallet/hammer and tapping the frame together on both sides after you have finished making the call.  That will seal the frame/adhesive solidly and should eliminate that problem. 

However, with thinner reed material like proph, sometimes the problem is related to keeping the call in your mouth too much when hunting.  I use mostly proph-reed calls and I never leave calls in my mouth unless I am calling.  Them being constantly wet in your mouth will definitely relax the latex enough to deaden the sound of the call. 

Offline limbhanger777

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 03:11:38 PM »
Is it just from back tension? or are you just not crimping the sides of your frames tight enough?

Offline limbhanger777

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 03:12:30 PM »
I have noticed if I don't bend the back tab down tight enough, I slowly lose my back tension.