OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

BEYOND P!$$@d OFF!!

Started by mightyjoeyoung, April 09, 2019, 06:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejd

That sucks. Glad the rail will solve it for you.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 09, 2019, 06:56:10 PM
That sucks. I learned along time ago just because they have a gunsmith shop doesn't mean there a gunsmith. I have zero faith in anyone doing the job there paid to do nowadays. I make things absolutely dummy proof or do it myself.

this x2!!! I have been hunting only 7 years now but would NEVER trust anyone with my expensive stuff.

Sorry OP but this is partially on you. For example, I brought my 2000$ guitar into a shop to have a professional setup and refretting and I asked several questions. The answers I got were not what I wanted to hear so I moved on and found someone else. I always do my homework before I have anyone touch my stuff with work, especially with work that is not reversible.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Bigeclipse on April 18, 2019, 01:50:29 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 09, 2019, 06:56:10 PM
That sucks. I learned along time ago just because they have a gunsmith shop doesn't mean there a gunsmith. I have zero faith in anyone doing the job there paid to do nowadays. I make things absolutely dummy proof or do it myself.

this x2!!! I have been hunting only 7 years now but would NEVER trust anyone with my expensive stuff.

Sorry OP but this is partially on you. For example, I brought my 2000$ guitar into a shop to have a professional setup and refretting and I asked several questions. The answers I got were not what I wanted to hear so I moved on and found someone else. I always do my homework before I have anyone touch my stuff with work, especially with work that is not reversible.
It's absolutely NOT on me in any way shape or form.  I've been hunting for 35 years and literally grew up in that shop.  My father was extremely good friends with the owner and smith and had his own chair at the end of the counter.  The gentleman that drilled and tapped my 1300 has done A LOT of work on A LOT of other guns for me.  What pisses me off wasnt the mistake, but the lack of admission to the mistake.  We have a first name basis kind of relationship and I fully trusted the man.  That trust has been tarnished,  not because of the error, but because he chose to deflect blame onto me. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

DMTJAGER

Gun smiths are like good doctors and auto mechanics. once you find one you dread knowing one day they will retire as you know there is little chance of finding an equally qualified replacement.

I am blessed with a great smith within a two hour drive from my house.

Tailwalk

Well gosh dang I'm terrified to get my m2 drilled and tapped now haha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

Ouch. That's why I question everything. I've made myself sound stupid many of times to ensure I was getting what I expected.

rich870

As a former machinist ant tool and die maker... If the smith doesn't have a  vertical mill I doubt he can get a receiver drilled and tapped as straight as you'd want. If he's using a drill press turn and run. Not like a deer that will look back, like a turkey that's gone forever

aclawrence

I think it's on the Glock talk forum or one of the other gun forums they have a gunsmithing hall of shame thread that has some amazingly terrible stuff on there. Last year I took my 870 to a friend that has a mill and we did it ourselves. The hardest part was finding the right screws and tap/bit that all matched each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk