OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Anodized aluminum problem - HELP  (Read 4903 times)

Offline REBELYELL

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • 601-384-7427
Re: Anodized aluminum problem - HELP
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 08:47:32 PM »
When it comes to aluminum surfaces, the striker tip is half of the equation. Take some 220 grit sandpaper and with the striker tip pointed up, slowly twist the striker in your fingers while constantly flapping the sandpaper downwards. Go all the way around a couple of times but in an evenly fashion. This will remove the aluminum residue build up and allow your striker tip to grip the surface. You can then apply pool cue chalk and it will run like a scalded dog.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2019, 08:58:28 PM »
This will hurt any resale but if you don’t imo you might as well get rid of it anyway. On anondized I use sandpaper. Call will come alive
X2 they play so much better. I do not see any advantage of black anodized over regular aluminum. Green anodized grips much better than black in my experience.

Offline yelpy

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 09:00:59 PM »
What % alcohol did you use? I have noticed that if you don't use the highest % alcohol you will have problems
Make a lot of sense. I cant remember what I used. I did use the alcohol pads and dont remember having a problem with them.

I wander if acetone would be ok if you just put a little on a paper towel, cotton ball,  or gauze pad and dont hit the glue or finish on the wood. The acetone will make the surface grip better I think.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 09:03:28 PM »
Some makers of anondized aluminum, make sure it’s raw or anondized send theirs already partly or wholly sanded.
Again there seems to be a misconception here, I’m speaking for no one else but Jimmy Schafer stated he uses nothing but bead blasted. Don’t sand that.
Jimmy hasn't always used bead blasted. His older alums are slick, a lot of those have that purplish black appearance. His new bead blasted are great and run with total ease, but as far as aluminum calls go some of the older slick ones are some of the best alums I've played or heard.

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 09:04:06 PM »
What % alcohol did you use? I have noticed that if you don't use the highest % alcohol you will have problems
Make a lot of sense. I cant remember what I used. I did use the alcohol pads and dont remember having a problem with them.

I wander if acetone would be ok if you just put a little on a paper towel, cotton ball,  or gauze pad and dont hit the glue or finish on the wood. The acetone will make the surface grip better I think.

I have wondered the same thing about acetone. I bet it would work great

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 12:47:12 AM »
I have a Schaffer  aluminum aluminum sapelle and it sounds great but I do have to constantly baby it ,,like a Zamboni resurfacing the ice between hockey game periods

Offline yelpy

• Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 09:53:19 AM »

I have wondered the same thing about acetone. I bet it would work great
I might give it a shot on a cheapo green anodized pot I have . Cant hurt to try it.

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 03:49:52 PM »
I'm glad this subject about anodized came up,,,my draw from mine and hearing others experience is,,
When you get a new or different anodized call,,play it a few times or hunt it a couple times and if it doesn't thrill you or the birds and your iffy on confidence then post it on swapboard,sell it,etc. Because if you decide to keep it for a spell your committed to attack that surface probably beyond resale value in fact it seems like a call where you will end up conditioning the entire surface through wear through.

Offline Clydetaylor1

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 05:04:18 PM »
Sanded mine down to raw aluminium and it works much better.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 06:11:15 PM »
I have no problem playing mine just using a scotch brite pad. Mine aren't even conditioned to raw aluminum.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 06:34:59 AM »
I have no problem playing mine just using a scotch brite pad. Mine aren't even conditioned to raw aluminum.
d

Some are more picky than others for sure!

I am playing Chad's calls scuffing it with green scotch brite and they play like a dream, some of the least picky slick aluminum calls I have ever played.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2019, 08:08:13 AM »
Thanks bud, glad they are working well for you!
d

Some are more picky than others for sure!

I am playing Chad's calls scuffing it with green scotch brite and they play like a dream, some of the least picky slick aluminum calls I have ever played.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2019, 08:21:31 AM »

If you use 91% alcohol, you shouldn't have a problem. 87% and you likely will have slipping of the striker and no sound. I see that Amazon has 99%. I'm guessing that would be even better.
If you use 91% and for some reason you still have trouble, try touching the end of your striker on your tongue (yeah, I know it sounds weird) and chalking the tip. You can use rain chalk or regular box call chalk (railroad chalk). That should give you great grip.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2019, 10:26:19 AM »
try touching the end of your striker on your tongue (yeah, I know it sounds weird) and chalking the tip. You can use rain chalk or regular box call chalk (railroad chalk).
[/quote]
Why not just dip it in water instead 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field