OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Camo Question  (Read 15526 times)

Offline Dazzler

Camo Question
« on: April 08, 2019, 10:39:48 AM »
I've been reading and there have been several mentions of switching up camo late season.

Currently I run full MO Bottomland.  Should I be concerned if I'm just going to be up against a tree or some blowdown?  I've always focused on movement vs camo pattern.

I hunt in N. AL thick woods with several trees to sit.  My season is 30 MAR-30 APR.

Is it more of having something else in your tool box for when its needed?

Offline Plush

Re: Camo Question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 11:29:08 AM »
Some people love to get crazy with camo. I think it is really overrated to be honest. You are right in focusing on your movement over camo. Sure switching up camo to better match the terrain is great and if you want to spend some cash go for it. It could/will help, but not terribly much in the grand scheme. Turkeys see movement...not the technicalities of your camo pattern.

If I tried to get crazy with camo I would go insane. I hunt nice oak ridges, then dense areas, and then swamp. What am I going to do? Bring a basket of different options for when the terrain changes?

But like I said if you got nice cash flow and want to buy some different camo it can be beneficial.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 11:47:17 AM »
Camo is more about status among your fellow turkey hunters than it is about turkeys seeing it.  If you want to be viewed as a serious turkey hunter, you have to wear the latest and greatest camo.  Everything has to match perfectly, including pants, shirts, jackets, cap, headnet, socks, and even your underwear.  In addition, your shotgun has to match everything else.  Anything short of that and you are viewed as a wannabe. 

Of course, it can't be a brand new outfit, either.  It has to show signs of wear,...and maybe even has some dirt on it.  If you got brand new stuff, then take it out and fling some mud on it right away.  If you wear it right off the rack, then you are automatically relegated back to the wannabe status. 

Naturally, all experienced turkey hunters know all of this and dress accordingly.  None of us want to be looked down upon by our peers,...at least not before we get into the woods and demonstrate that we don't have a clue anyway. 

:toothy9::newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :toothy9:

Offline BKnisley

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 01:37:46 PM »
Turkey hunting gospel GoobleNut!   ;D

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 02:05:20 PM »
lol GoobleNut
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline SD_smith

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 04:16:33 PM »
Different strokes for different folks. I prefer to wear something similar to my environment. You break out some HTC Green too early out here and it’s like wearing blaze orange. My go to for hunting Ponderosa Pines is Greenleaf and when I’m on the prairie I’m wearing Kings Camo desert brush. Greenleaf looks black on the prairie at a long distance.

Offline Dazzler

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 05:20:40 PM »
Think I’m gonna stick with my bottomlands and brush In if needed.

Hunt pretty much the same area and there are plenty of trees to back up on.

Just wanted some feedback since I don’t have any peers to criticize my fashion sense in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 02:58:07 PM »
LOL Gobblenut. 

I have killed several birds wearing my dark brown Wolverine cotton duck pants I wear to work.  Once even had a green scrub under my leafy top.  So I had muck boots, solid brown pants, green scrub with leafy camo over it and killed the bird in my avatar.  I know because that day I was working and radiographed that bird at work before I cleaned him. 

Whatever you wear, if you look like a dark blob, you better have a dark blob behind you (tree).  just be still.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Plush

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 03:14:24 PM »
You break out some HTC Green too early out here and it’s like wearing blaze orange.

I bought a Winchester SXP Longbeard not too long ago and this year they changed the mossy oak pattern on it to something with these bright as heck green oak leaves. I had the guy at the store go through all 12+ shotguns they had to find me the one with the least green on it.

I am trying to pray there isn't a bunch of snow on the ground when season hits...let alone have green friggen leaves. Might as well go out into the woods with a big rainbow stick to wave around.

Offline Dazzler

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 03:51:36 PM »
Came across some family owned ASAT leafy suit camo. 

Anybody have experience with this stuff?

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 05:17:12 PM »
Camo is for folks who can’t sit still. This year I hunted in dark brown khakis and a Camo shirt. Had hen so close I thought she was going to walk up to me. She came in on my off/right side so there was no brush covering. Bubba

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 05:25:31 PM »
Everything is sat has been said. Sit still it’s over rated

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 08:58:26 PM »
Camo patterns are generally designed to attract hunters. You don't need 5 different sets of woods camo.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Online Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 09:51:39 PM »
In all seriousness...  I feel it is far more important to wash your hunting clothes in non-color brightening detergent... 

Turkeys can see UV, and color brightening detergent really increases UV (from my understanding).  I actually wash my clothes in some detergent my wife purchased specifically for hunting and camouflage.

As far as camouflage...  I believe you can park a car in the middle of a field and hunt from it, as long as the turkey does not see you move in the car.

The more the camouflage blends into the background, the more it helps hide "subtle" movement.  I generally put on what I have, but if I can match my surroundings, I will.  I would not go out and specifically buy new clothes to match the tree I am going to sit against though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 04:38:51 PM »
I’ve never worried about UV brightness of my clothing. I don’t wash my hunting clothes a lot when I do I use Tide, never had a deer or turkey react. I had two longbeards at 5 feet not yards and they never mentioned my detergent or why I was so close to the hen they just heard lol. UV brightners, Hecs suits, scentloc, ozone machines etc etc are just scams perpetrated on the gullible. I wear Mossyoak bottomland everyday of the season never had a problem. Sitting in the sun were something can reflect light, or movement are the things to avoid.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?