Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Taking kids...

Started by tomstopper, April 08, 2019, 07:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Just curious who on our team has kids to take hunting. Maybe we could all share advice or tips on taking them out. Just curious and willing to help

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

WNCTracker

Quote from: tomstopper on April 08, 2019, 07:12:02 AM
Just curious who on our team has kids to take hunting. Maybe we could all share advice or tips on taking them out. Just curious and willing to help

That's a great idea!  I've got three kids with one too you still. One thing I tried this year was to use myself as the blind for my youngest boy. I sat right against him and put my knee up in front of him which he could use as a shooting rest rather than just sitting beside him. This also allowed him to hear me whisper what to do and when to do it. Also it served as a back drop to help him blend into my camo since he has a difficult time sitting still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomstopper

Good idea. My daughters are very petite so they have a hard time holding the gun up and can barely reach the pump/slide (even on the Mossberg mini 510). I bought a Caldwell Deadshot fieldpod to hold the weight. If you decide to do this, I will offer this advice:

When target shooting, you can lock it down (if using a red dot) on target. This is ok for a stationary object but not a real hunting scenario. I decided to take the fieldpod and unloaded gun into the house and set it up in front of the t.v., put on YouTube and found a hunting video. I told her that I wanted her to gently follow the turkey on t.v. with the red dot placed in the middle of his neck. She got used to moving the fieldpod after a couple of days.

ILHUNTER

We just got done with our Youth season in Illinois.  My boy is 13 now and this is the first season out his 5 he has not got a turkey.  We always use a blind and a tripod for resting the gun.  Only reason we use a blind is because during the youth season we have almost no cover around since nothing is greening up yet.  During our regular season he will just sit by a tree and use his knee for shooting.
Have a daughter that is interested in hunting but she is only 7 and pretty small right now, she tags along a few times each year but still a few yrs away from actually hunting.