OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wood choice for new trumpet  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Re: Wood choice for new trumpet
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 09:45:39 PM »
I had a great conversation with the call maker today. I have narrowed my choices down to African Blackwood, Osage or Persimmon. I wasn’t aware that Osage darkened up like it does. Needless to say I’m pretty excited to acquire another trumpet. My thoughts are it doesn’t matter what choice I make on this trumpet because I’ve got a feeling I’m gonna end up having several.

I forgot to ask him about mud cured Osage, what’s the difference between that and regular Osage?

Offline mmclain

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 10:47:04 PM »
A well built trumpet really won’t make much difference in sound based on wood density.  You can tell a little difference between persimmon and Blackwood but no overwhelming difference. 

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 11:05:21 PM »
Thanks, I was just looking at a Janka Hardness chart. In my simple mind I figured the more dense the better.

By the way that walnut tube I got from you sounds great. Much better than the one I had.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 05:00:59 AM »
I had a great conversation with the call maker today. I have narrowed my choices down to African Blackwood, Osage or Persimmon. I wasn’t aware that Osage darkened up like it does. Needless to say I’m pretty excited to acquire another trumpet. My thoughts are it doesn’t matter what choice I make on this trumpet because I’ve got a feeling I’m gonna end up having several.

I forgot to ask him about mud cured Osage, what’s the difference between that and regular Osage?
Good assumption on the feeling you will end up owning several trumpets. Mud cured I assume started while using a fence post to make trumpets and when they got to the part that had been in the ground for a long time it t turned into a greenish tint in the wood.

Offline mmclain

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 12:03:40 AM »
Thanks, I was just looking at a Janka Hardness chart. In my simple mind I figured the more dense the better.

By the way that walnut tube I got from you sounds great. Much better than the one I had.
Thanks you. Enjoy!   
Basing good/bad on Hanks hardness is not always good.