OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wood choice for new trumpet

Started by Rzrbac, April 07, 2019, 10:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

Well I think I'm hooked on learning to play a trumpet. I have a cocobolo from Mr. Mero and it's a blast. I have another maker in mind and I'm looking for suggestions and possibly pics for wood type. I like dark or grey looking wood. My wood knowledge is pretty limited to domestic woods. Right now I'm leaning toward African Blackwood but I just don't know many exotic woods.

USMC0331

lignum videt , Madagascar ebony,  East Indian rosewood,  desert ironwood, and Kingwood to name a few.

Daryl

outdoors

ALL EXOTICS
MOST ALL DOMESTIC
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

SteelerFan

Rzrbac

I like that royal ebony.

Is pink ivory a hard wood to obtain and is it extremely expensive?

crow

gergg

Quote from: Rzrbac on April 07, 2019, 11:43:22 PM
I like that royal ebony.

Is pink ivory a hard wood to obtain and is it extremely expensive?
Pink Ivory is available, though somewhat more rare than others. It tends to be a little more expensive on average.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

chefrific

You won't go wrong with Macassar ebony, African Blackwood or Desert Ironwood. 

Chris O

Agree with all the comments so far. Osage will darken with age but usually doesn't have the grain as some of the others

Jacobson

Desert Ironwood makes a great trumpet, but also Boise de rose, African blackwood, Brazilian rosewood,  all are good choices.

Rzrbac

Appreciate all the options, please post some pics if you want. I have got on one makers list and hoping to get on another.

My knowledge of the exotics is limited but slowly expanding. Is there any type that is a legitimate gray?  I liked the royal ebony pic.

Rzrbac

I should add I'm not as concerned with looks as sound. I want a variety of materials to include mouthpieces from some different makers. Kind of like tomorrow morning may start off with a Hooks and go to a Woodhaven. Even if the WoodHaven produces a kill, the next hunt could be a Gooserbat or
Primos.

Chris O

KP Macasser

Shag Hill Texas ebony

Lingum vitae by Possom Fork

Jeff Erb desert ironwood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rzrbac