OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: First Bird Down in Texas!  (Read 2407 times)

Offline ScottS

First Bird Down in Texas!
« on: April 07, 2019, 10:08:17 PM »
So I had the easiest hunt I’ve ever had today and it was with a bow. Went to my lease up in the Texas panhandle this afternoon and as I was pulling up to my parking spot I saw a bird in the road about 100 yds in front of me. I got out and put my leafy suit on real quick got my bow mouth call and decoy. I was able to sneak out to the road I pulled off of and put my jake deke in the edge of it. I wasn’t sure if I spooked the bird coming in so I gave em a few soft yelps and he fired off immediately. I gave him a few more yelps then went quiet and waited for him to come right in to my decoy. I was standing in the shade of a tree 12 yards away when I sent an arrow into him and that was it. Literally shot him about 20 yards from the truck. It kinda felt like I cheated but I’ll take it for the first one down of the season. The whole sequence of events probably took 10-15 minutes at the most!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: First Bird Down in Texas!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 10:40:28 PM »
Congrats man...that’s make 2 with bow for our team.  Neither one out of a blind.

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 08:08:29 AM »
Congrats brother, outstanding job. By the way great pictures as well.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline honker22

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 09:13:41 AM »
Congrats Scott.  Last time I hunted in Tx was in Hutchinson... the "hotel" I stayed in was interesting to say the least.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Offline ScottS

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 09:18:46 AM »
Congrats Scott.  Last time I hunted in Tx was in Hutchinson... the "hotel" I stayed in was interesting to say the least.
Haha yeah that area can be rough. Thankfully I drive from Amarillo where I live to go hunt my place. The country up there is probably to most some ugly terrain but I like it. Dry rolling hills with some really productive river bottom areas.

Online callaway71

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 05:04:25 PM »
Congrats, Scott!

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 04:53:56 PM »
Congrats man.