turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet Mouthpiece

Started by Rzrbac, April 06, 2019, 01:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

I'm new to trumpet calls. Just got one a week ago. I'm thoroughly enjoying the challenge of learning to produce huntable turkey sounds. As I've read a good part of the trumpet threads on here, I've noticed various mouthpieces. I'm specifically curious about the material. Some are white and some are black and I'm guessing the black ones are delrin. Delrin is what my trumpet has. What available materials are there for mouthpieces and what are the advantages/disadvantages? 

I have speculated maybe it is just aesthetics but as I'm practicing I begin to think mouthpieces could change the overall sound. I know there are a lot of makers as well as hunters so I'm just curious to hear about different opinions and perspectives, thanks.

fordhunt

Hole size in the mouth piece will change your sound alot .lip placement will to . different material will vibrate different .all these will change the sound of your call .hole size being probably the most important .

gergg

I prefer Delrin, moisture doesn't mess with it, smooth to the lips, stable, consistent  .....buffalo horn seems to suck the moisture from the lips giving it a somewhat dry/rough texture for me. Ivory works good too, but it is not a long-term solution.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

davisd9

Hard to beat ivory for tone and pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Terry

Having owned several trumpets from a single maker all at once, I agree that hole size is more important than material. I really think material choice is a lot less important in general than design. That opinion might make me unpopular, but it's what I have observed. That's my opinion for mouthpieces and what wood a trumpet body is.

May there be a slight change in pitch? Possibly, but I've never heard one different enough that it would be worth carrying two calls from the same maker.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Rzrbac

When you guys refer to ivory, do you mean some fake ivory or
real elephant tusks. I know other critters have ivory as well like elk. Also what kind of buffalo horn is used? Is that the bison from out west or some kind of African buffalo like a cape?

antnye

Quote from: gergg on April 07, 2019, 10:30:51 AM
I prefer Delrin, moisture doesn't mess with it, smooth to the lips, stable, consistent  .....buffalo horn seems to suck the moisture from the lips giving it a somewhat dry/rough texture for me. Ivory works good too, but it is not a long-term solution.

It's best to seal the inside of any horn, bone or ivory. To keep the moisture out. Once sealed correctly moisture is a non issue.

gergg

Quote from: antnye on April 07, 2019, 02:43:53 PM

It's best to seal the inside of any horn, bone or ivory. To keep the moisture out. Once sealed correctly moisture is a non issue.
Yeah, for me it is the feeling of the outside of buffalo horn, sealed inside or not I don't like it....but, that is just me.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

antnye

Quote from: gergg on April 07, 2019, 02:58:29 PM

Yeah, for me it is the feeling of the outside of buffalo horn, sealed inside or not I don't like it....but, that is just me.

I like to seal the outside as well. Not everyone does. I have seen non sealed buffalo horn warp.

gergg

Quote from: antnye on April 07, 2019, 03:26:36 PM
Quote from: gergg on April 07, 2019, 02:58:29 PM

I like to seal the outside as well. Not everyone does. I have seen non sealed buffalo horn warp.
That just might help the feel for me, I just hate the idea of having a sealer(CA?) on my mouthpiece, even though it probably isn't coming off.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

larry9988

I make my own trumpets and it is crazy how much a change in hole size of 1/64 of an inch can make in tone of a trumpet. I prefer 5/64" and 3/32" hole size in my mouth pieces. The length of the trumpet barrel also plays an important part in pitch. I sometimes bore the mouth pieces 7/64" to get more of a jake or gobbler yelp sound. I believe bore size in the mouth piece makes more difference in sound than the material used. Material is more about looks to me.

Rzrbac

Can plain ole whitetail antler be used for a mouthpiece?