News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite tactics for hunting WMA turkeys

Started by jbrown, April 05, 2019, 09:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLGobstopper

Quote from: roberthyman14 on April 25, 2019, 09:08:18 PM
Scout,scout,scout.  Walk like you are on an excursion.  Listen to everything and look for turkey tracks, and people tracks.  Search out the roosting areas.  Get in early, very little calling.  Favorite call most morning are the purr and leaf scratching.  Usually keeps him from gobbling to much and comes in silent.  Meaning no other hunters come trouncing in on you.  If you keep yelping and cutting he keeps gobbling. 

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Sometimes you have to hunt like you're being hunted when on hard pressured ground. Both from the turkeys and other hunters.

catman529

Not telling anyone where I'm hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

steveo

Think it's been said but scout scout scout......
Know the terrain, set up where they want to go, try different things, soft calls, no calling.
Go off beat, I once set up on a field gobbler that beat me 4 days in a row, he would pitch in the middle of  a field with his girlfriends but would use a different exit every day.
Well day 5 I was in the middle of the field in a layout blind with one hen decoy....... he landed 10 steps away......... game over.
Hard hunted WMA, when I got him and blind back to where I parked there were 4 other vehicles and I had heard them all calling when he was gobbling on the roost....... I never uttered a sound.????

guesswho

Growing up I used to hunt a central Florida WMA quite a bit.   I don't know how many birds I killed over the years within walking distance from the check station, and never saw another person.  Granted this was in the 70's and I'm sure its changed, but if I ever go back I'll definitely check it out.  It used to tickle the guy and his wife who ran the check station that I killed birds where they could hear me shoot.  I guess the tactic would be to try and find the obvious, hidden in plain sight.  Not all turkeys are on the other side of the WMA, or deer for that matter.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Big Pine

I like to hunt week days, and I also like to hunt areas that have areas that can only be accessed by boat. That is a pretty common thing where I'm from to have a huge tract of land with locked gates, and the only way to access the biggest portion of the land and by boat. I have also had better luck with soft calling and leaf scratching.

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on February 14, 2020, 07:59:06 PM
Growing up I used to hunt a central Florida WMA quite a bit.   I don't know how many birds I killed over the years within walking distance from the check station, and never saw another person.  Granted this was in the 70's and I'm sure its changed, but if I ever go back I'll definitely check it out.  It used to tickle the guy and his wife who ran the check station that I killed birds where they could hear me shoot.  I guess the tactic would be to try and find the obvious, hidden in plain sight.  Not all turkeys are on the other side of the WMA, or deer for that matter.

Same out here,...killed lots of gobblers within a few hundred yards of paved highways listening to the trucks of hunters screaming past headed for those remote areas that "supposedly" hold all the untouched birds.  Sometimes it is better to outwit the competition than it is to have to outwit the gobblers!