OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mossberg 930 LB 6s CHOKE???  (Read 4025 times)

Offline MountainPursuit

Mossberg 930 LB 6s CHOKE???
« on: April 04, 2019, 07:59:41 PM »
I'll be picking up my 930 and patterning it this weekend. Kicked the Stoeger to the curb. I found out Italian shotguns just do not feel the same as what I grew up shooting. Anyone have any good recommendations for a choke tube. I'll be shooting LB 6s 1 3/4 oz. From what (very little) I've seen, the factory X factor turkey choke actually performs quite nice in this gun. I was looking into a Carlon's Long Beard choke, but I couldn't find any pics of that specific choke on the site. I'm open eyes and ears!

Offline roverboy

Re: Mossberg 930 LB 6s CHOKE???
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 08:10:26 PM »
Carlsons are really good chokes. Whatever I got I'd get something along the lines of a .660-.665 constriction. I used to shoot a Hastings .640. It was a little to tight really. I killed severall birds with it though.
Listen for the gobble

Offline MountainPursuit

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:43:43 PM »
Yeah, that's about the range I was looking at. I'd really like to see some pics of that setup with a gobbling thunder or carlson choke before I get one. I'm sure I wouldn't be dissatisfied with either though

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 09:28:20 AM »
I have the same gun and the Indian Creek shot the LB #6's pretty good.  I think I have a pattern pic on here somewhere.

Offline dg7mm08

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 08:49:02 AM »
Indian Creek .660 worked best in mine a few years back . Pictures are posted from 2016 somewhere on here.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 03:22:41 AM »
I just got the 930 this year. Factory choke .670 did fine with XR #5.
I got an Indian Creek .660 and that's even better. I did shoot some custom Nitro Heavyshot. the pattern was low and left with the IC .660. I've never seen a POI change that bad with changing choke and shell combo. XR was on the money. The Nitro I was shooting called for a different shell and choke combo.... Just found it odd that it changed so much. If it stops raining I might try the factory choke.

If you have a brand new gun. Take the barrel off and look at it. Mine was ruff and had machine marks in it. I did a polish job on mine.

Also if you are looking for a custom choke... Call William at Sumtoy.

Keep us updated.

Offline JodyPenny

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 08:09:53 AM »
I have a .660 from William at Sumtoy and a Indian creek. The Indian creek shot low. The Sumtoy is on the money and throws beautiful patterns. Here’s a pattern with Federal Heavyweight #7 with the Sumtoy choke at 40 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JodyPenny

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 08:11:28 AM »
Here’s a pattern with the Sumtoy and Winchester Super X #5 at 40 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk