turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New turkey hunter

Started by Dazzler, April 04, 2019, 06:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dazzler

Saturday found a gobbler just before 10. He gobbled once at about 70-100yds out. Got set up and waited. Called about twice and had to leave a little after 11. Didn't hear boo during that time. Walking out I jumped him about 30 yards from where I was sitting and watched him fly off.

Went back to same area today and got another bird gobbling. He didn't move from initial location for a while and I could hear a hen, so I figured she had his attention. At some point two of them were gobbling at my calls and at some point they were almost behind me. At that point I repositioned a little back to see if that would bring them in, but no dice.

Next call they were back in the direction of their original location.    A little later and they stopped responding. I moved in, but nothing else. Left. 

Read somewhere that this might be their strut zone. Obviously my plan is to get a little closer next trip to this area. This is thick stuff, but when i moved up on them the thick green stuff gave way to a bottom. Figured that's where they were moving.

Any suggestions for a new guy in the turkey woods on how to bring them in?  I'm switching up calls and I'm trying to keep calling to a minimum.

Suggestions on how to move around when you've got their attention but don't really know where they are. I feel pinned down even thought they are 70-100 yards out by my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

When you have their attention, is is best not to move, and usually not to call any more either.  Be still and observant.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

tomstopper

Quote from: silvestris on April 04, 2019, 10:26:01 PM
When you have their attention, is is best not to move, and usually not to call any more either.  Be still and observant.
This. If he is gobbling good when I call, I usually just stop calling all together. Sometimes they will shut up and just come in silent. Also you could try raking the leaves if you feel you must make some sort of call to him. Just be extremely careful not to get busted moving.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

EZ

Sounds like you're in a spot that they don't like to go. You've heard them two different times now. Go to where you KNOW they like to be.
I'm not a "call once and stop guy". If they're answering, I keep them gobbling until they commit to coming, then back off and soften up. I realize you're new and your calling probably has a ways to go, but if you're confident that you sound like a hen, have at it.

dejake

If he answers your call............STAY PUT.  Once his hens are done feeding and go to their nests, he'll come looking for you.

Dazzler

Stay put for how long?  What's a normal time frame to give before you figure the bird has lost interest or spooked?

silvestris

On serious second thought, quit while it is still possible.  The preceding statement is the truest thing to ever come from my keyboard.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

tal

The best advice I've ever been given. "The difference between an experienced turkey hunter and a beginning turkey hunter is the new guy is afraid he's going to mess up. The experienced guy knows he's going to and quits worrying about it."