OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Replacement Reed Tuning  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Extremesolo

Replacement Reed Tuning
« on: April 16, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »
I have a few tube calls and admit I am somewhat of a novice when using them.  I want to get better with them and add them to my hunting arsenal when I feel I am good enough with it to not spook birds.  This may seem like a fairly simple process to someone who uses these calls often but for some reason I have trouble with consistency when changing the reed.  The question I have is what is your technique for changing reeds and what is your preferred tension and gap from the lip stop?  Any slack at all in your reed after the change, how tight do you make it?  I often struggle to get good sounds after I swap the reed and that makes the learning curve pretty steep for me.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Scpossum

Re: Replacement Reed Tuning
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:05:30 AM »
It is one of those things you have to keep trying until you find out what works for you and your call. The latex should be firm with no sag in it. Here is a pic of how mine are set (in the woods right now). But, the gap from the lipstop to the latex is call specific. If you don’t like the tension you can pull it tighter or looser.  Just have to keep working at it. 

Offline merriamsman

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 01:33:27 PM »
I have the same problem. Can’t seem to get the calls to sound as good as before I replace the reeds.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 05:54:59 PM »
I think everyone struggles a little in the beginning. You have to spend the time practicing and adjusting the latex will become easy. I can change mine in seconds and one or two yelps and I know if I need more or less tension etc. I can tell you it wasn’t like that when I first picked it up. You have to put in the time there is no substitute of any kind.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?