OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: If you could get any trumpet....  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
If you could get any trumpet....
« on: April 03, 2019, 04:07:36 PM »
Say money and wait time are not a concern, who's wait list do you get on?

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
Re: If you could get any trumpet....
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 04:13:29 PM »
There are many good builders out there. It seems about everyone wants a Cox trumpet for some reason. I doubt I will ever have one. So I am curious to see what others say

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 04:15:30 PM »
Kenny Pedelahore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Bowhuntr73

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • "Conflict is the only Solution"
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 04:24:25 PM »
Permar- I got a bunch but each one of his is unique and his quality craftsmanship is evident in every trumpet. Talking with Ralph is always educational and I learn the history behind his calls which is very nice. He’s always on top of my yearly trumpet lists!

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 04:40:17 PM »
I've run a good many trumpets over the years, owned a Hegler and the other "big names" for a while. But right now its Austy Botts. I'm soon next up on his list, and I truly cannot wait to hear his adjustable trumpet first person. Will post pics and a review when it arrives.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 05:51:57 PM »
Is there one that would make me sound like I know what I am doing? If so that one for sure!
I understand Billy Buice is top of the heap so anything by him would be cool as I am not likely to be able to get one any time soon. Some kind of wood with a lot of pretty grain but medium colored to dark would be my taste I guess, I do not know woods like most of you do.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 06:08:12 PM »
Depends on if you want to kill turkeys or get a collector's item that sits on a shelf.  I love my Cox, Permar, Hornstra calls (and I hunt them!) but lately my Bob Buckner osage has been pulling turkeys in from the moon. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline richard black

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 06:28:53 PM »
There are so many to choose from, but my choice is Anthony Ellis. I have 5 of his trumpets which have accounted for a lot of birds. Easy to run,excellent workmanship, and most importantly the turkeys come running!

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 06:51:03 PM »
There are so many to choose from, but my choice is Anthony Ellis. I have 5 of his trumpets which have accounted for a lot of birds. Easy to run,excellent workmanship, and most importantly the turkeys come running!

Yep.... Anthony, AGE, makes a great one!  I've hunted with his calls for a few years now and they straight up work.   
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline idratherb

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 07:17:27 PM »
Lots of good ones, hornstra, bott, permar, heglar etc etc cant go wrong with or just a plain old well turned wing bone

Offline fordhunt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 08:18:43 PM »
I've run a good many trumpets over the years, owned a Hegler and the other "big names" for a while. But right now its Austy Botts. I'm soon next up on his list, and I truly cannot wait to hear his adjustable trumpet first person. Will post pics and a review when it arrives.
I got my adjustable Austy Bott today and man you can't go wrong here .he's a great guy to talk to.sending pictures now

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 08:43:26 PM »
Buice is what I hunt with for the last 30+ years. Cox and Permar are the other callmakers I buy from. I have tried and own calls from many others, but the three I mentioned are who I rely on . There are a few guys doing some (potentially) innovative things. For me, it's about sound, quality of workmanship and sound.
Royal Slam 2008

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 09:20:37 PM »
I have a Cox, Hornstra, Permar, Buice and several other top shelf trumpets, but I would really like to have an authentic Tom Turpin, he started it all.

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 12:01:51 AM »
Very happy with my trumpets by Buice, Permar, Pedelahore, and Dangerfield, but in the spirit of the OP's question, I would like to have a Zach Farmer Woodwind.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 03:25:27 AM »
I just got my first trumpet from Brian Mero. I’m having a blast trying to make huntable sounds. I explained to him when I ordered I didn’t need anything elaborate as I have been known to take a few falls. I would be absolutely sick if I broke a high dollar trumpet. With that said, if I should progress with my curent trumpet I could see me buying one that cost a little more. I recognize some of the names mentioned so far and the one guy I would most like to meet and own a call from would be Zach Farmer. I hope to learn about more trumpet makers and perhaps get to meet a few of them someday.  There’s just something about the older generations of turkey hunters that I’m in awe of.