OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Inconsistent patterning numbers with Long Beard chokes.

Started by cljohnson24, April 11, 2019, 08:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cljohnson24

I've been seeing my numbers fluctuate a lot with the Carlson Long Beard Chokes and 3" LB 5's(12ga) and 3"  6's (20 ga)in both of my Winchester 1300's in 12ga as well as 20 ga. The 20 gauge has been fluctuating from 85 to 137 hits in the 10". I bores-nake between shots and cant understand why they are so inconsistent. If I switch to my old undertaker I get lower numbers but they only fluctuate 5 hits between shots.
Any ideas?

bbcoach

TEMPS?  Are you shooting and comparing in different air temps?  Cold air is dense and causes our counts to decrease.  Warmer air causes an increase.  BIG difference patterning in 70 degree temps as compared to 40 degree temps.

cljohnson24

Temp was the same as was the wind/humidity. Only thing I can think of is something to do with clean/dirty/bore snake affecting it so I've tried to be as consistent and just bore snake every time...Doesn't affect the fluctuation between shots with the Long beard chokes, yet my other non stepped/non ported chokes with same diameter shoot with vary consistent numbers.
Has anyone seen stepped/ported chokes behave like this?

Borden811

I had that issue with longbeard shells in general, no matter what choke I used. Shooting regular lead, or hevishot, or tss, the issues disappeared. The longbeard shells were just too inconsistent for me, with both poa/poi and pattern density. I spend my money elsewhere these days.

owlhoot

Quote from: Borden811 on April 14, 2019, 06:52:51 PM
I had that issue with longbeard shells in general, no matter what choke I used. Shooting regular lead, or hevishot, or tss, the issues disappeared. The longbeard shells were just too inconsistent for me, with both poa/poi and pattern density. I spend my money elsewhere these days.

X2

cljohnson24

I noticed this behavior with Federal flite control wads and ported/stepped chokes and went to non ported versions and the numbers became very consistent but were lower than the high numbers achieved by the stepped/ and was stripping chokes.

BDeal

I bought a Carlson Longbeard Choke a couple of years ago for my SuperX2 and experienced wandering groups, especially at close ranges (20 Y and less) and the groups were just too tight in general. I bought a Wrights #1 .680 from Clark Bush and it opened up the pattern considerably and no more wandering groups. I get a pattern about the size of a basketball at 25 yards and an absolutely killer pattern at 40 with LB #6 3.5 2OZ. I counted 55 hits in the kill zone at 40 Y.