turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi Mentor

Started by hailstate13cpa, March 31, 2019, 02:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hailstate13cpa

Living in the age of technology, you can't always believe/trust what you read on the internet or hear on podcasts. How many of you have/had a mentor that you could bounce ideas/strategies off of? Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer in experience being the most effective teacher, but I imagine learning from someone that's already made the mistakes would shorten the learning curve. I'm no expert by any means, but I do want to master this craft to the best of my abilities. I have read some turkey hunting books that are recommended, as well.

If you would be interested in mentoring a MS kid that hunts public land only mainly on hilly Pine Plantations and Mixed Hardwood WMAs/National Forests, please send me a PM. By no means am I looking for anyone's honey hole. I have plenty of land near me. I do want to learn more and be a student of the game we all love so much.

silvestris

Get Kenny Morgan's "one Man Game".  I was honored to have him critique most of my hunts and I learned a lot.  He and I only hunted together on two occasions as he meant it when he called it a one man's game.  He felt it important for me to make my own mistakes and I did.  His explanations of what I was doing wrong was invaluable and didn't cost him any honeyholes unless he wanted to share some with me and I wouldn't go to one of his honeyholes without his blessing.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

MK M GOBL

I have mentored a lot over the years, mostly with youth and ladies looking to learn and mostly because of other hunters not wanting/willing to teach or share their hunting time... I have had a few adult men ask too,will spend 4-5 years when I mentor for people. I'll usually go with them to their land and teach them from there. I have given some of them good public access spots I know of if they don't have private land or taken them with me and to my ground and "My Rules". All just part of what I do.

Sorry but up in Wisconsin...

MK M GOBL

bassman95

hey I assume you live in Starkville and are just getting started. I am as well. Let me know if you want to meet up and go one day

hailstate13cpa

Silvestris, I have that one and it is a fine read. Others have suggested some good books to add to my growing library. Thanks for the insight and good luck this Spring.

MK, I hate that we aren't closer to connect. Good luck on your season and I hope your protégés are grateful for the relationship you have.

Bassman, I actually moved from Stark Vegas about 2 years ago. I'm now in central MS near Grenada. I would be glad to get together and hunt or even bounce ideas back and forth. Good luck chasing those Oktibbeha birds!

MK M GOBL

Quote from: hailstate13cpa on April 01, 2019, 10:40:18 PM

MK, I hate that we aren't closer to connect. Good luck on your season and I hope your protégés are grateful for the relationship you have.

Any questions you get I can always try to help out with, just PM me. Hope you have a good season, share some pics!

MK M GOBL

hailstate13cpa

silvestris

Time heal all wounds, or something like that.  Congrats.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

3bailey3

Sil you know you are still my Mentor on more things than hunting these crazy birds!

silvestris

I appreciate that comment, Bailey.  Hope you are having a pleasant season.