OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: roll crimped ammo and franchi/benelli  (Read 2816 times)

Offline darron

roll crimped ammo and franchi/benelli
« on: March 30, 2019, 07:29:01 PM »
I have a franchi affinity and have been shooting federal heavy weights with no issues. I will be switching over to TSS here in 3-4 years. I am reading that franchi and benelli m2 are having issues puiling the federal roll crimp shells.

Is this happening in all affinity and M2 or just happens here and there? If this is an on-going issue will federal start using the folded or star crimp instead of the rolled?

Offline mrclif

Re: roll crimped ammo and franchi/benelli
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 07:53:08 PM »
Generally the metric guns require a shorter OAL it's not because of the "roll crimp" it will happen with a fold too if it's too long. I sold my affinity but still load for couple of buddies and I trim alil off hull before crimping or jus load 23/4".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Mathews.1

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 11:58:01 PM »
I shoot handloaded tss thru my m2and never had any issues. When shooting tss keep your gun clean.

Offline tree-rat sniper

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 08:47:56 PM »
My Franchi is 1/2 a dozen years old, other than the Benelli-click (once) I've never had any issues with mine.  It digests everything that's been put through it.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Offline JakeT

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 08:45:59 AM »
It's due to the length. Affinity, m2 and I've even heard stoeger. Seem likes it random. Some cycle them some dont

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline mrclif

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 02:53:21 PM »
It's due to the length. Affinity, m2 and I've even heard stoeger. Seem likes it random. Some cycle them some dont

Exactly doesnt have to do with which type of crimp or cleanliness, it has all to with the OVERALL LENGTH OF THE LOADED SHELL.

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 08:18:14 PM »

Exactly doesnt have to do with which type of crimp or cleanliness, it has all to with the OVERALL LENGTH OF THE LOADED SHELL.

That’s 100% accurate and also misleading. Everything else being equal (powder, wad, shot, buffer...), the geometry of a roll crimped shell makes it longer than that of a star crimped or folded one. And, the difference is often enough to impede cycling/feeding of 3” roll crimped shells in an Affinity and its Italian cousins.

Offline darron

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 06:15:57 PM »
Do you see this issue out of pumps?

Offline Lazy coyote

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 12:06:38 PM »
The extra length of a loaded shell is the cause.  I have the same problem with a Beretta pintail.