OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best pump gun  (Read 7493 times)

Online Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Best pump gun
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2019, 12:47:18 PM »
I'd be all for a wingmaster if they made one in a matter finish with composite stocks

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2019, 01:30:56 PM »
Find a Super Magnum without the word “Express” and you’ll have a camo or Matt finished WM
A lot of people don’t want a used shotgun. I can understand wanting something brand new but a shotgun is made to last at least one lifetime. I’ve found shotguns that were 30 or more years old and the bluing on the magazine ramp wasn’t even worn, people  buy  guns and hardly use them.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2019, 01:45:25 PM »
BPS is a heavy gun but mine has always been flawless when operating. Love the top tang safety. Killed Turkeys for thirty years with this gun and only need one more Florida bird for a second slam.

Now however, I'm using an Encore 20 gauge. Light, short and a real killer with #9 TSS. I will probably have a 20 gauge BPS come next Spring and be shooting TSS through it.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2019, 02:01:55 PM »
Remington made the Super magnum there first 3.5” shotgun then came the Express Super magnum, which is the Walmart version. The original SM was like the special purpose guns same machined extractor, ejector and internal parts polished like the Wingmaster.
The cost savings with the Express in any model are the cheap stamped parts they skip the internal polishing which causes the rough cycling and the tool marks are common in the barells. Basically they skip a few steps and substitute cheaper parts on the Express. The extractors and ejectors look the same but they are not. Same with the action bars( the rails  connected to the forend) if these are not fit precisely or are bent even slightly the gun will be really hard to cycle and even jam. This is one of the quality control steps skipped with the Express.
On this entire forum and thousands of posts you never see anyone complain about any of these issues with the Wingmaster. But for the rest of eternity people will continue to try and save 150$ buy the Express have problems and complain. And there is no way to get people to comprehend this. Even if you flew them to the factory showed them a Wingmaster and an Express being made it will never sink in. I guess it’s the same mentality that causes someone to buy there guns at Walmart?
Thanks have to look at some of mine . I ordered the 12 guage 21" when it first came out and same thing with the first super mag . Been a while but I think I remember special purpose when I ordered those two . The others I bought used

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2019, 05:13:19 PM »
Remington made the Super magnum there first 3.5” shotgun then came the Express Super magnum, which is the Walmart version. The original SM was like the special purpose guns same machined extractor, ejector and internal parts polished like the Wingmaster.
The cost savings with the Express in any model are the cheap stamped parts they skip the internal polishing which causes the rough cycling and the tool marks are common in the barells. Basically they skip a few steps and substitute cheaper parts on the Express. The extractors and ejectors look the same but they are not. Same with the action bars( the rails  connected to the forend) if these are not fit precisely or are bent even slightly the gun will be really hard to cycle and even jam. This is one of the quality control steps skipped with the Express.
On this entire forum and thousands of posts you never see anyone complain about any of these issues with the Wingmaster. But for the rest of eternity people will continue to try and save 150$ buy the Express have problems and complain. And there is no way to get people to comprehend this. Even if you flew them to the factory showed them a Wingmaster and an Express being made it will never sink in. I guess it’s the same mentality that causes someone to buy there guns at Walmart?

My 870 Super Mag is one of the non-Express, Mossy Oak camoed , thumbhole stocked Special Purpose Turkey guns made from `05-07.  I bought it used. I think the thing is probably indestructible and feels like it was hewn from a block of steel. Heavy, not ideal for run and gun. Nothing rattles, tight as can be and a smooth action. I know for a fact it`ll be shooting after I shuffle off this mortal coil!  I consider myself lucky to have found it and it was $320 well spent IMO.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2019, 05:55:27 PM »
IMO 835.  Overbored barrel, shoots every shell well, won't break the bank and plenty of chokes to get the pattern you want.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:26:45 PM by bbcoach »

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2019, 07:55:19 PM »
Remington made the Super magnum their first 3.5” shotgun then came the Express Super magnum, which is the Walmart version. The original SM was like the special purpose guns same machined extractor, ejector and internal parts polished like the Wingmaster.
Yep makes sense, the first one i ordered was in 1998 ,had a 23" barrel and it was and still is a good gun. Hunting buddy bought it and gave it to his son. He likes those 3 1/2" shells.
The second 3 1/2" was bought used at a gunshow and I was told later it was a Wallymart gun because of the camo pattern on it. It's barrel had lots of machining marks in it, wasn't near as smooth cycling as well. Think it had a cheaper made trigger assembly also. It was sold fast.   
My history of Remington firearms book (Roy Marcot)  does not differentiate between the two. Not many details in it.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2019, 08:53:12 PM »
Everyone has an opinion of which gun is the best. Some base it on looks or maybe what aftermarket stocks or sites are available. Some want to carry the same gun as there YouTube hero or have the newest most expensive gun in the duck blind.
I have always been a fan of the 870, (the real 870 not the cheap Express model)
I’ve hunted with one my entire life it’s all I used as a kid for deer, squirrels hogs ducks whatever.
We used the 870 in Iraq for breaching doors and clearing buildings.I would and have trusted my life to the 870. I have never seen one fail or had a problem with one. I base my loyalty to the 870 on thousands of rounds fired and carrying one for hundreds of miles on two different continents.

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2019, 09:32:29 PM »
Everyone has an opinion of which gun is the best. Some base it on looks or maybe what aftermarket stocks or sites are available. Some want to carry the same gun as there YouTube hero or have the newest most expensive gun in the duck blind.
I have always been a fan of the 870, (the real 870 not the cheap Express model)
I’ve hunted with one my entire life it’s all I used as a kid for deer, squirrels hogs ducks whatever.
We used the 870 in Iraq for breaching doors and clearing buildings.I would and have trusted my life to the 870. I have never seen one fail or had a problem with one. I base my loyalty to the 870 on thousands of rounds fired and carrying one for hundreds of miles on two different continents.
Factual information!

Offline LGN

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2019, 12:19:42 PM »
The 870 wingmaster, new or old, is the way to go!!  Granted you might have to customize, but functions flawlessly!!  Just got one back from angle port with barrel cut at 22 1/2 inches.  Ported,extended forcing cone, and choke tube by angle port(0.650).  Picatinny rail for vortex venom reflex.  Trigger job 3.5 lbs.  This was a new wingmaster 12 ga 3 in chamber never fired when dropped off at angle port.
Fired it a few times before dropping off at Liquid Concepts in Alexander Arkansas for cerakote(only barrel and receiver) in mil spec olive drab!!

Offline longislandloco

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2019, 01:29:59 PM »
BPS, Wingmaster, Ithaca, Remington, Mossberg.............What fits you, what fits your needs best, it's that simple.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe