OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

evening hunt

Started by bigt1981, May 01, 2011, 03:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigt1981

i am new to turkey hunting. on the afternoon to evening hunt is it ok to call or just remain silent and hope one comes by??

selinoid44

Yes it's ok to call! Let them birds know where you are. Just don't over call.
And  :welcomeOG: :z-guntootsmiley:

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

gwa

Quote from: bigt1981 on May 01, 2011, 03:18:42 AM
i am new to turkey hunting. on the afternoon to evening hunt is it ok to call or just remain silent and hope one comes by??

I do not think you would have much luck "hoping one comes by" unless you have them patterned to the T and know exactly where they are heading to roost.

Calling at least gives you a better chance of "telling" the gobbler where you are at. Put yourself in the gobblers position, you don't hear anything so you are just meandering through the woods doing whatever, now if you add some calling and he is meandering and hears a subtle hen yelp or some pleading hen yelps, you now have his attention, hopefully he gobbles to give away his location for you to be ready. If you had not called, he would still be meandering doing whatever 100yds away and you would never know.

Good Luck and keep us posted

bigt1981

thanks guys and happy huntin to ya

WyoHunter

Quote from: gwa on May 01, 2011, 08:40:02 AM
Quote from: bigt1981 on May 01, 2011, 03:18:42 AM

I do not think you would have much luck "hoping one comes by" unless you have them patterned to the T and know exactly where they are heading to roost.

Calling at least gives you a better chance of "telling" the gobbler where you are at. Put yourself in the gobblers position, you don't hear anything so you are just meandering through the woods doing whatever, now if you add some calling and he is meandering and hears a subtle hen yelp or some pleading hen yelps, you now have his attention, hopefully he gobbles to give away his location for you to be ready. If you had not called, he would still be meandering doing whatever 100yds away and you would never know.

Good Luck and keep us posted
Good advice!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

bowhunter84

Quote from: selinoid44 on May 01, 2011, 08:15:06 AM
Yes it's ok to call! Let them birds know where you are. Just don't over call.
And  :welcomeOG: :z-guntootsmiley:
:agreed: