OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 870 Express 20 gauge and best loads/chokes thus far  (Read 3909 times)

Offline ahfox16

Been trying to dial in my Remington Express with factory 26" barrel that I got a few weeks ago.  After getting the POI changed by my gunsmith with a bit of bending of the barrel its pretty close now.   Anyway, I had several different loads to try with a few different chokes.  The Chokes were a Comp-n-choke XX, Remington factory Superfull (572), Sumtoy chokes, 562 and 567.  Loads on hand and tried were Heavyweight 6's,  Longbeard 6's, Old Remington hevi-shot 5's and 6s and Heavyweight 7's (only shot a couple of those because I'm hoarding them) and some 3rd degree shells I bought at Walmart with TSS size 7's included.

Testing was done at 40 yards checked with a laser range finder and all groups were shot off a lead sled in about 5 MPH winds at 62 degrees.  Barrel was not cleaned as I forgot my bore snake.

Clear winner was the Winchester LB in size 6 with the Remington Superfull turkey choke.   148" hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards.  Second place was my Sumtoy .562 and Federal Heavyweight with 132 hits in the 10" circle at 40 yards.  Either combo was a real dead turkey at probably 45 yards.

I'm done as that's good enough for my backup gun.

FWIW, the Federal Heavyweights in size 6 weren't good for at all.  Averaged about 80 hits.   The 3rd degree shot worse then any other shell, but I only tried it with 2 chokes tubes (my two Sumtoy's).

I was very impressed with the Long Beard.  I've heard it is good, but didn't realize it was that good.

Picture of the winner. 

Offline DBell

Re: Remington 870 Express 20 gauge and best loads/chokes thus far
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 09:41:38 AM »
Been trying to dial in my Remington Express with factory 26" barrel that I got a few weeks ago.  After getting the POI changed by my gunsmith with a bit of bending of the barrel its pretty close now.   Anyway, I had several different loads to try with a few different chokes.  The Chokes were a Comp-n-choke XX, Remington factory Superfull (572), Sumtoy chokes, 562 and 567.  Loads on hand and tried were Heavyweight 6's,  Longbeard 6's, Old Remington hevi-shot 5's and 6s and Heavyweight 7's (only shot a couple of those because I'm hoarding them) and some 3rd degree shells I bought at Walmart with TSS size 7's included.

Testing was done at 40 yards checked with a laser range finder and all groups were shot off a lead sled in about 5 MPH winds at 62 degrees.  Barrel was not cleaned as I forgot my bore snake.

Clear winner was the Winchester LB in size 6 with the Remington Superfull turkey choke.   148" hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards.  Second place was my Sumtoy .562 and Federal Heavyweight with 132 hits in the 10" circle at 40 yards.  Either combo was a real dead turkey at probably 45 yards.

I'm done as that's good enough for my backup gun.

FWIW, the Federal Heavyweights in size 6 weren't good for at all.  Averaged about 80 hits.   The 3rd degree shot worse then any other shell, but I only tried it with 2 chokes tubes (my two Sumtoy's).

I was very impressed with the Long Beard.  I've heard it is good, but didn't realize it was that good.

Picture of the winner. 

LB #6 are killer once you get them dialed in, which is a must as they are so tight. I run them with the tru glo adjustable iron sights. The only thing with the LB that I find to be, not a negative, but a bit detrimental to most of my hunting situations, is that they shoot so tight, if I’m off the slightest with my shot, most of the pattern misses and there’s not much shot in the 20” circle to fall back on. The tru glo sights help a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ahfox16

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 02:34:05 PM »
Agree with not being very forgiving.  I did some more measuring and I had 201 hits within a 15" circle and I think there are only about 280 pellets in the entire shell.  That's impressive and unforgiving.  There were very very few pellets outside of that 15" circle for sure.

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 10:29:14 PM »
I had a very finicky 870 like yours. I shoot heavyweight 7s. I shot about 15 chokes through it. The trulock 560 put it over the top with fed 7s. Shot 175/176 in two shots.

Truglo ssx shot hevi 13s in the 160/170 range and 140/150 with fed 7s.

My sumtoy was always 110/120 along with three or four other chokes

Georgia Boy

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 08:55:42 AM »
clean the barrels good get the oil.   Now the federals should be more unless you got the crazy lot number.     
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 06:40:53 PM »
Ill tell you this. My other guns like to be clean. The remington likes to be bore snaked clean but not alcohol solvent clean.
Georgia Boy