OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Where'd everybody go?  (Read 5372 times)

Offline Missed mallards

Re: Where'd everybody go?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 09:54:45 AM »
What’s the snake story!

I heard leaves rustling out of sight. I was sneaking in to get a closer look when I found a decent advantage point. Felt something squishy underfoot about the same time I felt something slam my boot. I looked down thinking it was a stick and low and behold I had successfully penned a cotton mouth under my boot. Surprisingly I penned him about 6” from his head (best I could tell) and he wasn’t happy about it. I did the ole jump and scream like a girl and he took advantage of my hang-time and got outta dodge. Literally, hole thing happened in a sec maybe 2. I was in a relative clean area too boot.

Got real lucky. Most are aggressive and don’t flee at first chance. This one did and I was extremely happy about it too. That’ll be number 5 I’ve walked up on. Had to kill 1 that charged but didn’t try to hunt this one down after our meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 10:16:53 PM »
Yikes! That’s crazy, glad you had your snake boots on

Offline Caspar

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 07:00:19 AM »
that reminds me that i should get some snake chaps. i was circling around a longbeard a few years ago to get into a better position and ran into a 3ft rattler. he was pretty calm and never moved or rattled. i was able to get within a few feet of him and get some really nice pics.

Offline J_mill

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 10:34:05 AM »
Howdy folks. Been unusually slow in my parts. Seems as though the birds in my area are behind the curve quiet a bit. I haven't been out as much as I would like either. Most of my run ins have been with packs of Jakes doing Jake things. Fun to watch and experience but aggravating as all get out. Better weather and times coming! Gonna stick with  it.

Offline Hersh

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 11:09:18 AM »
Youth season for us in Indiana is coming up soon.  Can't wait to take my son and his friend out hunting.  Then it's the start of Michigan season for me.  Meanwhile we're in Florida for family vacation. Wish I was hunting here.  But fishing takes up the slack. Been a fun relaxing week here warm sun and lots of food ????

Offline ThunderChickenHunter21

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 11:45:51 AM »
Howdy folks. Been unusually slow in my parts. Seems as though the birds in my area are behind the curve quiet a bit. I haven't been out as much as I would like either. Most of my run ins have been with packs of Jakes doing Jake things. Fun to watch and experience but aggravating as all get out. Better weather and times coming! Gonna stick with  it.

Yeah they just ain’t cranked up here in middle TN. Took my son yesterday during middle of the day. Picked him up early for school but we didn’t hear or see anything. Said he wants to go this weekend too though so I believe it was a successful first trip! I’m gonna try it this weekend and hopefully they are gonna work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline squidd

• God, Family and Country
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 06:16:03 PM »
Slow here and will try again this weekend. 

Work has been busy and turned down a special opportunity hunt this week.

My daughter’s interest turned off like a light switch??  Had an offer to take her to a high $$$ lease this weekend and she just doesn’t want to get up early?

Good luck with the Youth hunts!