OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Changing Point of Impact can be done  (Read 2787 times)

Offline ahfox16

Changing Point of Impact can be done
« on: March 28, 2019, 06:30:26 PM »
Quick tale of woe that turned out ok.  I had bought a mint Remington 870 20 gauge with laminated stock in excellent condition about 2 weeks ago and found out after pattern testing that it was shooting 10" low and 8" to the left at 40 yards.   I changed multiple choke tubes and still no change to POI.  Had reconciled myself to a drill and tap and the adding of a Burris FF3.  Didn't really want to go that route as I've always been just a bead guy and I'm good with a bead.   Anyway, took it to my local gunsmith today and told him my tale of woe and he said not to worry he could fix the POI issue.  Took me to he back of the shop where he had a rather massive machine that I wish I had taken pictures of that was designed to bend barrels. Either shotgun or rifle.   I showed him a pattern I had shot with the gun and put the 870 barrel in the vise and did a little this and a little that and then said to take it out to shoot it.  Set up a 30" paper target at 30 yards and I touched off a round.  Still patterned to the left and low but better.   Bottom line is it took 8 tweaks with 8 shots and the gun shoots perfect now.  I was one pleased fellow and the total cost to correct the issue was $40 bucks.

PS.  The shells I pattern tested with were some of the old Remington Hevi-shot 20 gauge shells in size 5.  I was shooting a Sumtoy 567 and was flat out amazed how well the patterns were.  Were they TSS, nope, but they would have destroyed a turkey at 30 yards and no doubt would have done the job at 40 yards as well.   I'll do some pattern testing in a more serious way next week and see what shoots best, but I have no doubt if I wanted to turkey hunt with this gun right now with the old Hevi-shot loads I'd be in good shape.   

If anyone in Virginia has an issue with POI and wants it fixed, please send me  PM and I'll provide the gunsmiths contact info.

Offline Gen.27:3

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Changing Point of Impact can be done
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 06:39:04 PM »
Very interesting, I didn't know that could be done.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 07:41:34 PM »
glad it worked out for you and your good to go with the beads

several years ago I straitened an octagon muzzleloader barrel by putting it between 2 poplar trees and pulling on it.

the first couple of times I was pretty conservative and it only moved 1/4", by the end I was cranking on it and had the tops of those 2 trees shaking back and forth.

finally got it shooting on, had that rifle for years and it held it's zero without springing back

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 09:05:33 PM »
I prefer the bead myself, I have been fortunate that the 870 Wingmasters I’ve owned have shot to POA. 40 bucks seams pretty reasonable to keep from having  to strap a  scope to your shotgun lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 10:27:53 PM »
I myself have a problem with putting a scope on a gun just to correct a problem.Glad you got it shooting straight.
The Benelli factory needs one of those machines. Lol..

Offline Eddie12

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 10:57:17 PM »
I myself have a problem with putting a scope on a gun just to correct a problem.Glad you got it shooting straight.
The Benelli factory needs one of those machines. Lol..

Ha Ha Isn’t that the truth...my Stoeger M3000 was horrible so I had no choice but to put a red dot scope on it. I called Stoeger and was told it was basically normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stoeger M3000

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 02:35:30 PM »
Quick tale of woe that turned out ok.  I had bought a mint Remington 870 20 gauge with laminated stock in excellent condition about 2 weeks ago and found out after pattern testing that it was shooting 10" low and 8" to the left at 40 yards.   I changed multiple choke tubes and still no change to POI.  Had reconciled myself to a drill and tap and the adding of a Burris FF3.  Didn't really want to go that route as I've always been just a bead guy and I'm good with a bead.   Anyway, took it to my local gunsmith today and told him my tale of woe and he said not to worry he could fix the POI issue.  Took me to he back of the shop where he had a rather massive machine that I wish I had taken pictures of that was designed to bend barrels. Either shotgun or rifle.   I showed him a pattern I had shot with the gun and put the 870 barrel in the vise and did a little this and a little that and then said to take it out to shoot it.  Set up a 30" paper target at 30 yards and I touched off a round.  Still patterned to the left and low but better.   Bottom line is it took 8 tweaks with 8 shots and the gun shoots perfect now.  I was one pleased fellow and the total cost to correct the issue was $40 bucks.

PS.  The shells I pattern tested with were some of the old Remington Hevi-shot 20 gauge shells in size 5.  I was shooting a Sumtoy 567 and was flat out amazed how well the patterns were.  Were they TSS, nope, but they would have destroyed a turkey at 30 yards and no doubt would have done the job at 40 yards as well.   I'll do some pattern testing in a more serious way next week and see what shoots best, but I have no doubt if I wanted to turkey hunt with this gun right now with the old Hevi-shot loads I'd be in good shape.   

If anyone in Virginia has an issue with POI and wants it fixed, please send me  PM and I'll provide the gunsmiths contact info.
do me a favor .....send me that gunsmiths name...address...phone# ...and website if he has one

I'm gonna make that guy some $$ by posting that up here to the top of the forum at.OG
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline ahfox16

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 06:14:47 PM »

do me a favor .....send me that gunsmiths name...address...phone# ...and website if he has one

I'm gonna make that guy some $$ by posting that up here to the top of the forum at.OG

Done deal.  Just sent it to you. 

Offline longislandloco

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 07:23:19 PM »
We used to do that years ago on an Atlas.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

Offline roverboy

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 10:59:19 PM »
My turkey gun when I first got it shot the center of pattern about 6" low at 30 yards. I prefer beads on shotguns too. So I put a shorter one on front and a taller in back and it now shoots about 1 1/2" high at 30 yards. I'm satisfied with that.
Listen for the gobble

Offline Manoflaw

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 09:30:10 PM »
AHFOX, was the gunsmith Charlie by chance?

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 09:44:50 PM »
Personally, I have seen POI change by as much as 8” just by switching tss recipe from a light 1 1/8 load to a 2 oz load. Caused the man a miss to find it out.

My point being, if you are going to adjust your gun to this magnitude, then I would likely test it with the loads I plan on hunting with to keep from having poi issues after swapping loads.

Offline goblr77

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 04:08:21 PM »
I'm assuming he has a hydraulic press. Bending the barrel will definitely correct POI issues.