OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gobblers Galore, but where are the hens?  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Plush

Gobblers Galore, but where are the hens?
« on: March 28, 2019, 10:14:53 AM »
I have seen big ole gobblers all winter crossing a road through the hardwoods, but only two measly hens a month ago. Which seemed weird as is because this is when there was 3 feet of snow on the ground and I would have expected a bigger winter group. I saw 4 gobblers a week ago and they were going nuts this morning busting through the woods.

I found out a roosting spot and at least one direction they go afterwards so I plan to set a few cameras in some open pockets in the woods they might congregate at, but what happens if the hen population just isn’t there right now? Do the gobblers go on a trek or are the hens the ones that will do the legwork? I am familiar with the area having a good population all four seasons which makes me think the hens just either easily avoid me or they have yet to move in where the gobblers are setting up.

Mind you I am pretty far up in Wisconsin where we just finished melting 3 feet of snow and have yet to hit 60 degrees. So we are just hitting spring. Thanks for the help in advance.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: Gobblers Galore, but where are the hens?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 11:15:14 AM »
In the winter the hens are usually in a separate flock by themselves with the hen poults from the following summer, the jakes in a group and then the older Gobblers. They do mix some and the size of the groups depend on population obviously. The Gobbler groups will break up when Spring approaches and they will spread out and establish a territory and start gobbling to attract hens. The hens go to the Gobblers but the Gobbler is not going to set up in an area with no hens. Find the Gobblers and don’t worry about the hens they will be around.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 01:51:56 PM »
I agree with the above advice, if you have an ag field in the area both toms and hens are probably both using/feeding in it.

Offline Plush

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 04:25:01 PM »
I agree with the above advice, if you have an ag field in the area both toms and hens are probably both using/feeding in it.

No Ag fields. Closest field would be over 4 miles and most are 7 or more. 3 feet of snow and -35 they usually are found in the same general area they are now. I’d guess most tough it out in the hardwoods year round.

That is part of the problem though. There is no nice scouting from a quarter mile away as they play in the field edges. If they aren’t on the main highway or an old logging road you can’t really get a good gauge on what exactly is around.

From what I have been able to gather they like bouncing from one ~40 acre clear cut to another. That would explain why I see them cross the main highway so often...because the next closest clear cut is typically by crossing the highway.

Online Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 11:36:47 PM »
Clear cuts and open fields are where I find alot of Tom's in northern mn where I hunt. Crop fields are hard to come by. The hardwoods with oaks around them also hold birds. High lines are also a good place to check.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.