OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gobble call  (Read 2297 times)

Offline kbbgood

Gobble call
« on: March 27, 2019, 08:28:55 PM »
What do you guys say about gobble calls. When should they be used ? Anything you can say about them I want to hear about.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Re: Gobble call
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 12:36:10 AM »
I’m a fan of gobbling. It’s something I have been doing for years. I’ve always used a Primos Shaker Tube. It’s not the greatest sounding call but it will work. It’s always a situational thing as far as when to use one. I’ve shut birds down by gobbling at them when they were hung up. It can also be very effective. I tend to use it more late season when birds have been messed with a lot. I will typically make some subtle hen noise and then move away from the gobbler trying to create the illusion a gobbler is approaching a hen or hens. I also have just done some gobbling when the birds hit that stage when they aren’t gobbling at all. Seems like we get that every season. If I get a response with just a gobble, I keep challenging him until he either comes my way or shuts down.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 01:26:01 AM »
Had one when I first started to turkey hunt, think I still have one in the closet somewhere. Decided the danger made it not work using.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Pooh4459

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 04:29:04 AM »
This probably isnt true but I always figured since in nature the hen is always supposed to go to the gobbler but if the bird im calling hears the hen already has a gobbler with it then it will know why the hen isnt coming to its calling.  I give a gobble every now and them just so it will think that's why shes not coming and maybe head my way. Just a theory ive thought of and probably isnt true.

Offline KyScott

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 01:34:09 PM »
I always have a Gobble call with me but I use it sparingly. If a Gobbler is responding good to my calling I don't use it unless he is hung up out of sight. I have used it both ways as a Gobbler responding to my calling or before and then the hen responding. I have even had luck with it when birds are coming in silent that otherwise you wouldn't even know they were there. Example birds quit responding and you quit calling for a little bit then after taking a break for about 30 minutes or so just enjoying Gods gift. You decide to pick up the Gobble and hit it one time and Bam! He's almost snuck up on you and you didn't even realize he was there. One thing I ALWAYS try to do when using a gobble call is keep it short and sweet to make it sound like a young bird and not old grandaddy. Aint nobody gonna run to a but whooping unless they have to. lol

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 05:08:53 PM »
yep, but I don't do it much....kinda depends on the mood of the turkeys and most of the time it is used as a last resort.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 08:12:06 PM »
I use a tube call for gobbling fairly often, I have a smaller tube from Jake Nassen that has a really good young gobbler sound to it.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 08:03:22 AM »
I won't gobble in most of the areas I hunt. It's usually either public land or hunting club with the vast majority of fellows packing rifles.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 01:43:41 PM »
I will sometimes gobble as a last ditch effort on a hung gobbler or late season gobblers.  I use a box call to gobble.

Offline Boykin Hollow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »
I can do a decent fighting purr on my diaphram and use it as a last ditch effort on a gobbler that is hung up.  I have had them come running for a fight only to get a load of # 6's up side the head !!!

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 03:54:08 PM »
I've had the most success with it on birds that get hung up and do not have hens. Seems like they are ok waiting on a hen to come to them but the thought of another bird working in on a hen they were gobbling at they have trouble with.