OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hevi13 a lil different then norm with interesting results  (Read 2721 times)

Offline outdoorsmen

Hevi13 a lil different then norm with interesting results
« on: March 27, 2019, 03:36:54 PM »
I shot my sx2 and IC .650 NON BDC today to make sure my aimpoint dot was still on target.  At my gun club the shooting berms are at 25 and 50yds. Nothing different can be done. So with that being the case I checked zero at 25 and for grins I took at shot at 50, something I have never tested before.  I just  drew a 10" circle on some thick cardboard for my target.
Load is 3.5" 2.25oz #6

Group looks a lil right, idk maybe wind or me. But I would have guessed it would have been tighter.

Back of 50yd target. A few of the #6 didn't make it through the cardboard. I am kinda surprised.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:42:32 AM by outdoorsmen »

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
Re: Hevi13 a lil different then norm with interesting results
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 10:05:41 PM »
All is I can say is WOW! Wth is with that
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 07:49:52 AM »
Another good reason to shoot TSS :angel9:

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 08:24:36 AM »
Not surprised at all. When the Hevi 7 was the big craze I had the same results. At 40 yds 75% of the bb's would be stuck in the cardboard I shot at. Great patterns, but very little penetration.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline Breddleman34

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 09:26:00 AM »
I am not surprised either. I have seen this countless times when patterning my waterfowl guns and tubes (something many people don't do). I know steel is way lighter but when you are shooting a pattern with modern, premium steel, bismuth, or other non tox loads at 30 yards and 25%+ of the pellets are stuck in the cardboard, something is fishy. Hevi Shot products and Winchester Blindside have been the absolute worst in my experience... I've seen the same thing as Fullfan: great patterns, no penetration (and waterfowl guys are probably worse than turkey guys when it comes to wanting to shoot stuff at 50 and 60 yards).
DENSITY IS KING! :jackson:

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 10:12:17 AM »
What was behind the cardboard? Any chance some of the pellets just couldn't penetrate what was behind the cardboard thus getting stuck in the back of the cardboard? That's crazy.

Offline outdoorsmen

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 05:05:35 PM »
What was behind the cardboard? Any chance some of the pellets just couldn't penetrate what was behind the cardboard thus getting stuck in the back of the cardboard? That's crazy.

Good point. The cardboard was stapled to particle board.   That may have had an effect not letting the pellets through. I hadn't thought of that till now.