OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey fan Umbrella  (Read 7420 times)

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
Re: Turkey fan Umbrella
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 12:29:09 AM »
I have been hunting and killing turkeys with bow and gun since the early 1980's.Most times without the aid of decoys or ground blind. My impression is contrary to your's. My OP asked for people to respond who might have experience using this product.
You brought up a controversial subject on a public forum, and asked for "thoughts."  If my post came off as rude I apologize...

A couple years back, I was hunting some birds I could not call in...  Just for fun, I tried a fan, and was able to walk right into the middle of them.  Glad I left my gun behind, because admittedly, after working to kill these birds, I might have been tempted to harvest one...

For birds that eluded me most of the season, to be able to put a fan in front of myself, and walk right into them, seemed awful easy...  Like going to a great golf course and dropping the ball in each hole by hand....

Granted this is situational...  For many simply finding a bird to shoot, much less being able to call them in is far more challenging based on terrain or bird numbers.  The property I hunt, killing a bird by fanning simply would not be fair in my own estimation...

Maybe I am wrong...  But my limited experience with playing around with such, if I can drum up a bird and walk to him, I believe I could kill him using such methods, when in most cases, I cannot do so without such means.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Hatchet Jack

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 07:08:31 AM »
I have been hunting and killing turkeys with bow and gun since the early 1980's.Most times without the aid of decoys or ground blind. My impression is contrary to your's. My OP asked for people to respond who might have experience using this product.
You brought up a controversial subject on a public forum, and asked for "thoughts."  If my post came off as rude I apologize...

A couple years back, I was hunting some birds I could not call in...  Just for fun, I tried a fan, and was able to walk right into the middle of them.  Glad I left my gun behind, because admittedly, after working to kill these birds, I might have been tempted to harvest one...

For birds that eluded me most of the season, to be able to put a fan in front of myself, and walk right into them, seemed awful easy...  Like going to a great golf course and dropping the ball in each hole by hand....

Granted this is situational...  For many simply finding a bird to shoot, much less being able to call them in is far more challenging based on terrain or bird numbers.  The property I hunt, killing a bird by fanning simply would not be fair in my own estimation...

Maybe I am wrong...  But my limited experience with playing around with such, if I can drum up a bird and walk to him, I believe I could kill him using such methods, when in most cases, I cannot do so without such means.
This is what I asked in the OP.  ………." who might have experience using one and what your thoughts were on it and if you might have some tips.
Thanx"
I did not ask for just anyone's ''thoughts''. I specifically asked for the opinion of those who had experience using this particular item. Actually, until now, I had know idea using a fan was controversial. Like I said earlier. I am not new to turkey hunting but am new to this forum.
Just a thought...….. I have seen paintings of Native Americans cloaked in bison and deer hides and heads in order to sneak up close to their quarry to get close shots with their bows. I wonder if anyone found their hunting practices to be controversial.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 08:15:54 AM »
Just a thought...….. I have seen paintings of Native Americans cloaked in bison and deer hides and heads in order to sneak up close to their quarry to get close shots with their bows. I wonder if anyone found their hunting practices to be controversial.

In my opinion there is a big difference between hunting for survival and hunting for fun. Native Americans also ran buffalo off of cliffs.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Hatchet Jack

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 08:49:13 AM »

In my opinion there is a big difference between hunting for survival and hunting for fun. Native Americans also ran buffalo off of cliffs.
Yes, and others slaughtered them by the thousands with rifles. So what is your point?
My point was that forms of decoying have been used for hunting for probably ever since man started hunting. They are still used by waterfowlers every year, but no one has a problem with that. Some deer hunters use decoys as well. What is a fishing fly but a fake lure with a hidden hook to catch a fish. Why is it OK to fool a turkey with phony sounds but not OK to fool his eyes with decoys?
Unless someone is going to hunt with only a spear in their hand with no aid of mimicking sounds or visible decoys, they should not criticize others ''legal'' preferences of hunting.
We all have different degrees of what we consider a challenge. We all have different ideas of what we consider fun. Hopefully there is room for everyone and no body gets their Cheerios pissed in for having a different hunting technique.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 09:29:25 AM »
My point was exactly what I stated. Nothing more. I wouldn't call those that slaughtered buffalo hunters either. Not that I care about what others do so long as it's legal. We all have our opinions and my opinion applies to me and how I operate. Nothing more.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline countryboy3006

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 09:33:48 AM »
I have not personally used one but I have used a fan and it is very effective at times.  Other times the turkeys run as soon as they see them.  A friend of mine has one of these umbrellas and he said that he thought he had more negative responses with it because it was so big but it has worked for him sometimes.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2019, 03:23:19 PM »

Why is it OK to fool a turkey with phony sounds but not OK to fool his eyes with decoys?

The use of a caller requires a certain level of skill.  Ned in the first reader can place a stick in the ground.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Hatchet Jack

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2019, 05:33:26 PM »

Why is it OK to fool a turkey with phony sounds but not OK to fool his eyes with decoys?

The use of a caller requires a certain level of skill.  Ned in the first reader can place a stick in the ground.
I realize that. Most of us have acquired certain levels of calling skills over the years for calling in gobblers. It really isn't that hard. Once you get them within 50 yds most of our shotguns will take them out. Does not seem like a great challenge to me. But it sure is fun.We should make it were everyone has to use a recurve bow because anything else would be too easy or dare I say cheating. God forbid we have turkey hunters all over the U.S. placing sticks in the ground

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2019, 05:52:24 PM »
We could balance everything out by only allowing reapers to kill gobblers by grabbing them when they attack their decoy or fan.  Now that would add some excitement to the hunt,...and it would add a whole new skill set to turkey hunting!  Plus, we all could practice "catch and release" and have a reaping tournament!   ;D :toothy12: :toothy9: :newmascot:

...Oh yeah,...and I reserve the rights to the tour names "Reapmasters" and "Major League Reaping" so don't none of ya'll get any thoughts about stealing my idea!

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 05:56:47 PM »
We could balance everything out by only allowing reapers to kill gobblers by grabbing them when they attack their decoy or fan.  Now that would add some excitement to the hunt,...and it would add a whole new skill set to turkey hunting!  Plus, we all could practice "catch and release" and have a reaping tournament!   ;D :toothy12: :toothy9: :newmascot:
I would like to see that. When I was a kid, the neighborhood farmer used to tell us boys that whoever could catch the rooster and hold it for 10seconds could keep a large bass from his pond if we caught it (he had some huge largemouths in it and everyone wanted to keep them). We caught him but got tore up in the process. I can only imagine what a full grown gobbler would do...lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2019, 07:28:17 PM »

Why do you think we killed most of them and put the rest on small reservations? We didn’t put up with fanning or buffalo decoys in the old days lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Hatchet Jack

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2019, 07:38:59 PM »

Why do you think we killed most of them and put the rest on small reservations? We didn’t put up with fanning or buffalo decoys in the old days lol
Very good, that theory may actually have some merit. I never thought of that. LOL

Offline strum

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2019, 04:09:44 PM »
Guys .. that was uncalled for.  Those were terrible times for the natives and should not be joked about in such a way.