OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Iron sights or optics  (Read 6826 times)

Offline Southerngobbler

Iron sights or optics
« on: March 26, 2019, 04:10:33 PM »
What type of siting system does everyone think is better. A fiber type iron sight like tru glo or something with a lighted recticle like a red dot or similar. I like the simplicity of the iron site but do occasionally miss a turkey. I've been told most misses ( Not range related) are do to poor form-specifically not having your cheek on the comb or stock of the shotgun usually associated with some sort of weird angle. Anyways If I understand this correctly a optical type scope should reduce this sort of problem.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: Iron sights or optics
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 04:38:57 PM »
I've gone from a single bead, to a double bead, to fiber optic adjustable sights, and now a FF3 red dot.

I've always been one for keeping it simple, and the fiber optics fit that bill so I hunted those for 15 years or so. But, get a bit older, so the FF3 is on the primary gun, and fiber optics rifle sights on my backup single shot.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 08:59:41 PM »
I have been using a scope for better than 20 years and has worked awesome, a lot of youth hunter firsts and with adult newbies. Also give you "range" of incoming bird, I call it the Circle of Death.

MK M GOBL

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 10:31:13 PM »
Put a Vortex Venom on my gun last week and killed the first bird with it this morning. Everyone of my buddies that has them told me before they didn’t know why they waited so long to start using a red dot and now I know why they said that too! It’s unbelievable! I was using iron rifle sights up until now and when I would bare down on the stock and align the dovetail and front sight I would lose my peripheral vision and so it was hard for me to kinda glance over to see what a gobbler was doing or anything while waiting on a clear shot at him but using the red dot this morning I could put my gun up and quickly find my dot all the while able to glance to the side and watch what the bird was doing as he was working behind a bunch of thick stuff. And never losing “aim” bc the target acquisition is so quick with the dot. I will now have a dot on every turkey gun I own for the rest of my hunting career. As far as getting a youth or maybe a woman or newby to take a bird it would make the aiming aspect so much simpler.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 11:30:43 PM »
I've hunted with iron,fiber,and now a nikon turkey pro for somewhere around 8ish years. I wouldn't go back.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 11:20:47 AM »
I shoot a bead in my turkey gun, but raising your head off the stock just a little, like when your shooting in odd positions will cause misses. The reciever or Peep site will eliminate the head off the stock , if you are looking thru the peep at the front site your good. The pros to these compared to scopes are number 1 weight
2 more durable than any optic ever made
3 no need for batteries or worrying about rainy weather affecting a scope
At 40 yards or under I see no need for a heavy scope or dot of any kind rain or shine the bead or iron peep site will not lose zero.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Dazzler

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 11:35:34 AM »
I’ve been looking at fiber optic sights. Never mounted anything on my vent rib barrel. Anything I should know?  Any recommended brand for a Winchester 28” barrel?

Currently running a bead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 10:48:36 PM »
I think a single bead is best.  This is 100 pct personal preference, use what you have the most confidence in.   

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 07:47:29 AM »
I think there is no way to answer that accurately, I think it is strongly an individual choice, or in some cases forced upon somebody as their eyes change. I was fine with fiber optic sights until I could no longer see them and went to a scope this year.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 09:14:36 AM »
There is only one way to know and that is try each one. Sounds expensive and troublesome doesnt it? It is. I went through the process of all the above mentioned options and now shoot a leupold 2-7x32 scope. Glad I tried them all to know which is best for me.

Bay1985

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 10:23:22 AM »
Are you hunting over bait from a stand? If so, how long of a shot do you expect and what is the maximum distance you could end up ultimately shooting? Will you be shooting off a rest (for maximum stability)? Choosing your scope can be quite hard, I wasn't fast when choosing my hunting scopes for the first time in a long while. Scopes also offer, of course, the added benefit of magnification, allowing the hunter to better assess and judge the animal in their sights, and the ability to shoot at longer ranges more accurately.
You do know we are talking about Turkey hunting? I hope your not one of the box stand bait site “turkey experts”

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
I shoot a bead in my turkey gun, but raising your head off the stock just a little, like when your shooting in odd positions ...

At 40 yards or under I see no need for a heavy scope or dot of any kind rain or shine the bead or iron peep site will not lose zero.
Unfortunately, even if this is someone’s preference, all too many guns don’t shoot to point of aim with the bead.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 07:10:51 PM »
I shoot a bead in my turkey gun, but raising your head off the stock just a little, like when your shooting in odd positions ...

Unfortunately, even if this is someone’s preference, all too many guns don’t shoot to point of aim with the bead.
Did you not comprehend the part you edited out of my quote? A peep site or reciever site as it is also called is completely adjustable for elevation and windage it was the preferred rifle sight before the scope took over after WW2. If you feel compelled to strap a scope to your gun have at it but you cannot get around the added weight, chance of losing zero etc. Any gun can be adjusted for point of aim what exactly do you think people did in the days before scopes became a fad? Every Wingmastwr I’ve ever owned or shot shot to point of aim I would not own a gun of any brand that didn’t. But for way less than the price of a scope you can have the poa adjusted there was a thread about this very subject awhile back on this forum I think the guy charged less than a 100$

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 07:16:21 PM »

Did you not comprehend the part you edited out of my quote? A peep site or reciever site as it is also called is completely adjustable for elevation and windage it was the preferred rifle sight before the scope took over after WW2. If you feel compelled to strap a scope to your gun have at it but you cannot get around the added weight, chance of losing zero etc. Any gun can be adjusted for point of aim what exactly do you think people did in the days before scopes became a fad? Every Wingmastwr I’ve ever owned or shot shot to point of aim I would not own a gun of any brand that didn’t. But for way less than the price of a scope you can have the poa adjusted there was a thread about this very subject awhile back on this forum I think the guy charged less than a 100$
What a hoot.  Of course I did.  You said bead OR peep sight.  I only commented on the bead. 

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 07:54:47 PM »
I looked up the thread 40$ to fix point of aim on bead sighted shotgun.