turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

recommendation for youth mouthcall

Started by tha bugman, March 26, 2019, 11:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

My 10 year old daughter has taken an interest in learning how to use a mouth call.  I took one that I had and tried to cut the tape down but then she told me last night that the tape came completely off the frame.  Any recommendations on a call to get her? 

GobbleNut

From what others have said, I understand that the guys at Hook's Calls are really good at helping out with that sort of thing.  I would contact them....

coyote1

Definitely contact Scott at hooks. He helped me a lot when I was getting started.

Since I use a small frame and hooks are my favorite, I will recommend their Jr. pro. It's a 2 reed reverse combo that takes very little air. For determining what cut works best for her I would get the Jr. pro, Jr. Duplicator (3 reed batwing), the apex (combo cut) and Jr. Manipulator which is what I call a v cut on steroids. I generally can't use a v cut but the way they cut it, I can. Their jr. pro 3 is also good if a reverse combo ends up working for her. I have all of these and even the 3 reeds are not hard to use.

If a batwing works best and she wants a 2 reed instead of 3, the small frame legacy lone hen is a good call also. I hope this helps.

mpgavin1987

I heard of some people preferring to taking the tape off completely and using it. Learning as well at 31 and love hooks. Plus it's actually based out of the town I live in so get to support that local small made in America business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tha bugman

Quote from: mpgavin1987 on March 27, 2019, 11:28:26 AM
I heard of some people preferring to taking the tape off completely and using it. Learning as well at 31 and love hooks. Plus it's actually based out of the town I live in so get to support that local small made in America business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have seen folks do it, and I tried it, but I couldn't get the hang of it without tape