OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
DC Cattle Ranch

Author Topic: Gene’s Turkey Calls?  (Read 920 times)

Offline NYLongBeards

Gene’s Turkey Calls?
« on: March 25, 2019, 10:03:01 PM »
Does anyone know if Gene’s Turkey Call is still in service the phone# and site is deactivated I bought a couple calls from him a couple years back and I know he goes by Blacky on the forums here any info would be much appreciated.

Offline outdoors

• 2019 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: Gene’s Turkey Calls?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 10:50:56 PM »
He stopped  making calls  .........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline NYLongBeards

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 01:22:08 PM »
Did he? Does anyone have a contact number or email to reach him? I have a question that I need to ask him

Offline coyote1

• 2019 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 06:54:02 PM »
I don't know how to contact him. I was preparing to buy a couple calls when he announced that he was not going to make any more. I heard he made a killer slate.

Offline outdoors

• 2019 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 07:15:12 PM »
I bought a slate  /  slate in a zebra pot that's really AWESOME plays with any striker I use  that's when he was closing shop ........should have bought more .......
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline MDTOM84

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 07:20:20 PM »
I have 2 a cedar and Walnut slates. Fantastic pots

Offline doublespurs21

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 07:23:59 PM »
 gene closed the doors in the fall of 2017,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline NYLongBeards

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 08:46:19 PM »
That’s really depressing was looking to see if he could’ve done a custom glass call for me and my wife I bought my call from in in spring 2017 just before he closed up then that sucks... does anyone know where I can get a custom call like what I want?

Offline MDTOM84

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 08:56:50 PM »
That’s really depressing was looking to see if he could’ve done a custom glass call for me and my wife I bought my call from in in spring 2017 just before he closed up then that sucks... does anyone know where I can get a custom call like what I want?
Paul Hicks aka Daddy Rat, he just made me a walnut glass over glass with a custom sound board. Also the Walnut glass sounds awesome!

Offline NYLongBeards

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 09:49:44 PM »
What it run you to have him make it for you

Offline Pooh4459

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 04:22:26 AM »
I second Paul Hicks he is a great guy who makes a really great call at a really good price. He goes by Daddy Rat on here send him a PM.

Offline HartClemson99

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 08:42:42 PM »
I’m pretty sure he produced an instructional tape I bought as a kid in the late 1980s at the West Virginia Hunting and Fishing Show in Charleston.  It’s how I learned to run a mouth call.  I wish I could find a copy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

Offline captpete

• 2019 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Iowa.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 07:08:54 AM »

Check with Jimmy Schaffer, Oak Ridge Custom Calls. He makes a great call and he is a super guy to talk to.  He has made a couple of calls for me. Here is one of them.

000_0464 by CaptPete17, on Flickr