OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gene’s Turkey Calls?  (Read 3580 times)

Offline NYLongBeards

Gene’s Turkey Calls?
« on: March 25, 2019, 10:03:01 PM »
Does anyone know if Gene’s Turkey Call is still in service the phone# and site is deactivated I bought a couple calls from him a couple years back and I know he goes by Blacky on the forums here any info would be much appreciated.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: Gene’s Turkey Calls?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 10:50:56 PM »
He stopped  making calls  .........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline NYLongBeards

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 01:22:08 PM »
Did he? Does anyone have a contact number or email to reach him? I have a question that I need to ask him

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 06:54:02 PM »
I don't know how to contact him. I was preparing to buy a couple calls when he announced that he was not going to make any more. I heard he made a killer slate.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 07:15:12 PM »
I bought a slate  /  slate in a zebra pot that's really AWESOME plays with any striker I use  that's when he was closing shop ........should have bought more .......
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 07:20:20 PM »
I have 2 a cedar and Walnut slates. Fantastic pots

Online doublespurs21

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 07:23:59 PM »
 gene closed the doors in the fall of 2017,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline NYLongBeards

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 08:46:19 PM »
That’s really depressing was looking to see if he could’ve done a custom glass call for me and my wife I bought my call from in in spring 2017 just before he closed up then that sucks... does anyone know where I can get a custom call like what I want?

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 08:56:50 PM »
That’s really depressing was looking to see if he could’ve done a custom glass call for me and my wife I bought my call from in in spring 2017 just before he closed up then that sucks... does anyone know where I can get a custom call like what I want?
Paul Hicks aka Daddy Rat, he just made me a walnut glass over glass with a custom sound board. Also the Walnut glass sounds awesome!

Offline NYLongBeards

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 09:49:44 PM »
What it run you to have him make it for you

Offline Pooh4459

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 04:22:26 AM »
I second Paul Hicks he is a great guy who makes a really great call at a really good price. He goes by Daddy Rat on here send him a PM.

Offline HartClemson99

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 08:42:42 PM »
I’m pretty sure he produced an instructional tape I bought as a kid in the late 1980s at the West Virginia Hunting and Fishing Show in Charleston.  It’s how I learned to run a mouth call.  I wish I could find a copy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 07:08:54 AM »

Check with Jimmy Schaffer, Oak Ridge Custom Calls. He makes a great call and he is a super guy to talk to.  He has made a couple of calls for me. Here is one of them.

000_0464 by CaptPete17, on Flickr

Offline demeo

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 04:15:51 AM »
Turkeys aren’t difficult to call. People keep telling you that. Yet, you know they don’t gobble at you much. Even when they do, they don’t come to you. You’ve never had any luck “blind calling,” and truth be told, you watched a group of jakes, supposedly the dumbest creatures in the woods, run the other way after you yelped at them last season. What really helped me was a pair of waders actually from https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-waders-for-duck-hunting after seeing that a lot of people were recommending me to get some. Occasionally, a live hen will sound like the milky soft, clear yelps you’re replicating on your slate, push-button or paddle box call. Far more often, she’ll belt out noises laced with sass and rasp. Different hens have different voices. Remember that.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 03:06:10 PM »

Check with Jimmy Schaffer, Oak Ridge Custom Calls. He makes a great call and he is a super guy to talk to.  He has made a couple of calls for me. Here is one of them.

000_0464 by CaptPete17, on Flickr

I second everything said about Jimmy, incredibly nice guy to deal with. I got this one from him at Turkey Trot Acres back in August.

IMG_0494 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_0525 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_0501 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."