OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: N Kansas  (Read 3795 times)

Offline soILstrutter

N Kansas
« on: April 04, 2019, 11:51:46 AM »
Will be leaving Illinois next week for the archery only opener in Kansas. Any reports on gobbling or flock activity? Hoping to see some birds breaking up by the time we arrive...

Offline donjuan

Re: N Kansas
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 02:29:30 PM »
I am half an hour north of Topeka.  I have seen a few strutters already as well as groups of toms still together.  Definitely too early for hens sitting on the nests.

Usually by now I am hearing a lot of gobbles while doing chores in the morning but it's been quiet.

I am hoping the warm weather thaws out their voice boxes from the terrible winter we had!
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Offline soILstrutter

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »
I am half an hour north of Topeka.  I have seen a few strutters already as well as groups of toms still together.  Definitely too early for hens sitting on the nests.

Usually by now I am hearing a lot of gobbles while doing chores in the morning but it's been quiet.

I am hoping the warm weather thaws out their voice boxes from the terrible winter we had!

We won't be too far from there. Bring on the warmer temps for sure. Looking forward to opening up the season!

Offline gobblerhead

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:08:52 PM »
Wondering what was the scene was looking like before this late winter storm!!??
Gobble Gobble Gobble.........BOOOM.....Gobble Gobble Gobble!!!

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 01:49:56 PM »
Wondering what was the scene was looking like before this late winter storm!!??
Not a lot of gobbling around here yet in Eastern KS. Saw some solo toms out cruising midday this last week, which is a good sign. Two-three weeks back the gobblers were still grouped among themselves, lately it's been stutters in the morning with the flocks though.

Offline soILstrutter

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 10:43:35 AM »
Just made it back yesterday evening. Lots of flocked up birds but they were starting to break up around 11 or so on most days. The wind was not ideal, but we ended up calling in a flock one day and then taking advantage of birds that started to stray from a couple flocks later on in the morning. We were lucky enough to fill two tags.. Multiple other great encounters and with shotguns we would have limited out without question. Bowhunting turkeys sure is a different challenge and had an awesome experience out there!

Offline soILstrutter

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 03:42:49 PM »
Any birds still doing turkey things out there? Headed out this weekend to try and fill tag #2.

Offline donjuan

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 11:20:56 PM »
Yes. The hen's are sitting and the gobblers are cruising.

Just a headsup...the locals around Topeka and north are rather tired of out of state hunters parking in front of gates, trespassing, tearing up the mud roads and other complaints so be careful, which I'm sure you will
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Offline soILstrutter

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 08:57:46 AM »
Duly noted. It baffles me how inconsiderate some are for the sake of others and landowners. I appreciate the report! You just made my work day that much longer today though.......  :turkey2: